cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi All, Enterprise Admin Feedback?

Hi All, Enterprise Admin Feedback?

Explorer | Level 3

Hey Guys,

in a matter of days i'll be attending a Dropbox Corprate office to discuss moving my Org to Dropbox and away from Office 365 (OneDrive and Sharepoint).

Are there any Admins that can give me some real life feedback with the product? I have Dropbox 1TB personal account and i know its an awesome product... but i'll need to intergradte this into a .Gov that spans the globe.

I'm a 90% Windows 8/10 Domain, 10% Mac, need to move/share hundreds of TBs around the world internally and externally. Azure AD, local servers in remote countires...

I'm in talks for 'Unlimited' storage, 500 TB is our current need (I think)...

Anyone on this scale let me know your pain points and things i'll need to be aware.

Thanks All!

Mark.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Hi All, Enterprise Admin Feedback?

Collaborator | Level 8

I'm not an admin but I've helped move many organizations of your size to Dropbox. 

• Use Smart Sync!! 

Have a plan on how you will roll it out to your users. Dropbox services can help with this. It is an excellent product, works very well on PC and Mac, and your users will love it compared to the experience of OneDrive / SPO sync. This is especially important in your case if you have that much content you're looking to be centrally available in Dropbox. It's great because users will have access to tons of content without it taking up any space on their HDs. 

• Plan your group and directory structure in tandem, and spend time on it. 

Lots of options here but it's critical that you get this down before you adopt. Typically we see:

Geo

Office

Department

Working group (security groups)

or:

Working group/subsidiary

Department/function

Groups (security groups)

As you can imagine, there will be lots of groups. Come up with a good naming convention to keep them organized. 

• Be wary of waterfall permissions

This relates to having a good organizational plan as you roll out DB company-wide. If you're moving from on-premises windows-style servers, nested permissions are not allowed in Dropbox. Typically we see admins pick from the following:

Restrict permissions

Grant additional permissions

Move the folders/files with nested permissions higher up in the directory

That's just some, I'll post more when I think of them but feel free to DM me.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Dropboxer
Hey @Aust1mh, welcome to our community! 

I understand that you want (and need) real-world feedback from Enterprise admins, so I don’t feel like I should intervene, as I may be a bit biased . However, if there are any questions that I may be able to answer, please let me know. 

What type of work will you be doing? Let me know, if you’d like. 

I wish you the best in your endeavors! 
Cheers

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https:confused face:/dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Collaborator | Level 8

I'm not an admin but I've helped move many organizations of your size to Dropbox. 

• Use Smart Sync!! 

Have a plan on how you will roll it out to your users. Dropbox services can help with this. It is an excellent product, works very well on PC and Mac, and your users will love it compared to the experience of OneDrive / SPO sync. This is especially important in your case if you have that much content you're looking to be centrally available in Dropbox. It's great because users will have access to tons of content without it taking up any space on their HDs. 

• Plan your group and directory structure in tandem, and spend time on it. 

Lots of options here but it's critical that you get this down before you adopt. Typically we see:

Geo

Office

Department

Working group (security groups)

or:

Working group/subsidiary

Department/function

Groups (security groups)

As you can imagine, there will be lots of groups. Come up with a good naming convention to keep them organized. 

• Be wary of waterfall permissions

This relates to having a good organizational plan as you roll out DB company-wide. If you're moving from on-premises windows-style servers, nested permissions are not allowed in Dropbox. Typically we see admins pick from the following:

Restrict permissions

Grant additional permissions

Move the folders/files with nested permissions higher up in the directory

That's just some, I'll post more when I think of them but feel free to DM me.  

View solution in original post

Dropboxer

Hey @LukeTub… 

Screenshot 2017-10-20 at 12.00.06 AM.png

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here.]

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https:confused face:/dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?