cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I avoid downloading all my files when I install dropbox app?

How can I avoid downloading all my files when I install dropbox app?

Vict0r87
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

We have a Business account with a amount of files bigger than our laptop harddisk. Every new employee we have the same problem : when they download the dropbox app on their computer (Mac Os), it start to synchronize all our folder. But it saturates the laptop's hard drive before we are able to active Smart Sync and choose the folders we want local. 

Is it a way, when we instal the app to select, previously to the first synchronisation, only some folder to download ? 

Thank you for your help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @Vict0r87, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

In general, when you carry out an advanced reinstall or you install the desktop app on a new device, you'll be asked if you want to selectively sync folders and how you want your content to be Smart Synced before the installation is complete. 

If you've previously signed in to that computer and there's an existing folder for that account, you need to do an advanced reinstall and:

1. Choose the "Advanced" setup option during the installation process.
  2. Select the parent folder of the existing Dropbox folder as the location for this new install.

However, could you clarify for me if there have been multiple users signing in to the desktop app on the same device? 

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @Vict0r87, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

In general, when you carry out an advanced reinstall or you install the desktop app on a new device, you'll be asked if you want to selectively sync folders and how you want your content to be Smart Synced before the installation is complete. 

If you've previously signed in to that computer and there's an existing folder for that account, you need to do an advanced reinstall and:

1. Choose the "Advanced" setup option during the installation process.
  2. Select the parent folder of the existing Dropbox folder as the location for this new install.

However, could you clarify for me if there have been multiple users signing in to the desktop app on the same device? 

Keep me posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Vict0r87
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Lusil, 

I can confirm you that there is only one user per device. I was not aware of the selective sync option. I will have a look next time or try a reinstall.

Thank yoiu

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No worries, @Vict0r87:grin:

Let me know what you find or if you have any other questions. 

In the meantime, have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

suel
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'd like to know this as well.  I installed the program, all my files downloaded from my computer which I didn't want.  Now I can't deleat them off of the dropbox without deleated them from my computer which really upset me.  I want to deleate this app from my computer but have heard that I will lose all of my computer files.   No way to talk to the admin about this they just refer you to questiion section.  Really annoyed. 

suel
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Can you tell me how to remove this app without losing my computer files.  PLEASE !!!!!

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @suel, thanks for nudging us on this thread, and sorry to hear about your frustration. 

If your computer's folders, such as your Downloads and Documents folders, were added to your Dropbox folder, that would mean that the computer backup feature was enabled. 

In this case, have a look at this article which mentions how to turn off the feature and move the files back in to their original location. 

If you have any trouble along the way, just give me another nudge. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    suel New member | Level 2
    Vict0r87 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?