cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How can I become the team admin when the admin has left and didn't leave the password?

How can I become the team admin when the admin has left and didn't leave the password?

Lor2
Explorer | Level 4

Hello

The administrator of our Dropbox for Business left and we cannot contact him so the password has gone forever.

How can we make a team member become the team administrator?

Thank you and best Regards

Lor2

17 Replies 17

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Lor2, thanks for posting on the Community!

If you’re a team member, then it wouldn’t be possible to take control of the account. Only the team admin can grant another member admin permissions. Our support team wouldn’t be able to assist on this matter either for security and privacy reasons.

If their email address is controlled by your business domain, then your IT team might be able to reset their email password to login, and then reset the Dropbox account password. Once you gain access to the account, the admin can give admin permissions to another user on the team.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Lor2
Explorer | Level 4

Hello Jay

We tried redirecting the emai of the old administrator to me (as an alias); then i tried to change the password of the old admin (forgot dropbox password)  but I never received the email about the password change.

So I think that I should

-- open a new dropbox business

-- Transfer the data

-- Close the old account.

My question are:

What could be the reason why I did't receive the reset password email?

How can I dismiss the old dropbox business; who have I to write to

Thank you and best regards

Jay
Dropbox Staff

The password reset emails are sent from no-reply@dropbox.com, so make sure that it is whilelisted and added as a contact to ensure it doesn't go into spam.

Regarding cancelling the old Dropbox Business team, assuming you have the transaction details, you can get in contact with our support team directly to look into this matter in more detail.

You can do this by logging into your account, clicking this support link and providing as much info as possible. 

Keep me posted!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

teresawallacekw
New member | Level 2

The previous admin no longer works for me and so I need to make myself and the other team members admins, but because the email of the previous admin has been deactivated it is impossible to access to change roles. Please advise.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hi @teresawallacekw, thanks for reaching out to us. 

I've moved your thread here, where another user has had a similar concern. 

Have a look at what Jay mentions in their replies and let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks again!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

sherry007
New member | Level 2

I need Help Our Admin cut out with us and not answering I need to change Admin and w are the one paying for this dropbox! Who can help us? 

Thank you

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey @sherry007, thanks for dropping by. 

I moved your post to this thread, where Jay proposes some ways to tackle this issue. 

Check out what they mention, and give us another nudge if you have any trouble or questions along the way. 

Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

aoissa18
New member | Level 2

I am a member of a team and We have a Business account, unfortunately the Account Administrator, is no longer part of the Institution and in turn we cannot continue to make payments on her behalf. 

She refuses to at least appoint another administrator and remove herself from the team as the account was created by her but paid for by the Institution.

We received a notification for payment but unfortunately we are unable to do so.

Rich
Super User II

@aoissa18 wrote:

She refuses to at least appoint another administrator and remove herself from the team as the account was created by her but paid for by the Institution.

Your first step should be to make an offline backup of your data, just in case the current admin decides to pull the account out from under you all.

Regardless of who was paying for it, the account is seen as belonging to her as she's the one that opened it. One of the Dropboxer's ( @Hannah, @Jay, etc.) may be able to offer a better solution, but I think your best bet will be to start a new team of your own, share a folder between the two accounts to transfer data (or reupload from the backup you're going to make), and then invite your members to the new team.

Need more support?