cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you're up against the clock to get holiday ready, so here are some tips on how to use Dropbox to make your prep easy! Check them out!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I view Activity from people not on my team

How do I view Activity from people not on my team

gw_ufdc
Helpful | Level 5

Hi. I've searched the community and can't quite find someone asking the same question. I have shared folders that I use for collecting handoffs from other units in my organization. When I grant them Edit access to a folder, I get warned that they are not members of my team.

Does this non-team status mean that they can do whatever they want in a folder I've shared and I have no tracking information to know who did what and when they did it?

I need full retention of Activity on all Dropbox folders and full access to it. What have I or our IT team done or not done to prevent what seems to me routine functionality?

--G.W.

6 Replies 6

Re: How do I view Activity from people not on my team

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @gw_ufdc, thanks for posting on our Community today!

What type of Business plan do you currently have? 

Admins on our Advanced plan can see activity by both team members and external users in the activity tab of their admin console.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

gw_ufdc
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Hanna,

I am not an admin and do not know what our 'plan' is. I work at the University of Florida. If I am reading your reply correctly, it is not currently possible for an ordinary user of an enterprise-level Dropbox SKU to view activity by anyone outside their team.

Can you tell me what I need to ask our admin(s) to do to enable me to see Activity from any of the units that need to submit content to my unit? I'm in a herding cats situation and that info would be immensely helpful.

-G.W.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @gw_ufdc, you can see the team you're on from the link my colleague provided previously.

Only the team admin or user management admin on your team would have access to the full activity log, which would allow you to see who was adding, editing and deleting files. 

If they're submitting files in shared folders, the events page could help see their changes. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

gw_ufdc
Helpful | Level 5

None of this has been very helpful. I don't know which link "my colleague" posted should let me see what team I am on. More to the point, the creator/owner of any shared folder should be able to see all activity in that folder. If there are not already plans to establish this basic functionality, please make some and execute them.

If this were a  ticket in a decently sophisticated support system I would close it as unresolved. Your current UI only gives me the option of accepting a post as a solution. If I'm reading correctly, no solution to my dilemma is possible without me acquiring elevated rights in my organizations enterprise solution. I'm mildly dissatisfied with the support because of the vague link reference, which would easily have been a specific link with instructions or a screen cap of where I should look to learn what team(s) I am on. I'm extremely dissatisfied with the lack of what seems to me very basic functionality for shared folder creator/owners.

gw_ufdc
Helpful | Level 5

@Jay 

At 0310 (not sure about the time zone) this morning, I received an automated "Someone has responded to your question on the Dropbox Community" message, but I see no reply.

Jay
Dropboxer
I don't see a reply on the forum either, so I'm not sure what this could be related to.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    gw_ufdc Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?