cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove a member from an automatically created group?

How to remove a member from an automatically created group?

MAARCH
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When adding a new member to the teamfolder dropbox automatically creates a group we never asked for that has access to the whole folder, while the new member should have access only to certain subfolders. From the admin console we are not able to manage this. What can we do?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @MAARCH,

There is a default Group created automatically that includes all members of the team which is named along the lines of “Everyone at [Company Name]”. Since this is an automated group, you wouldn't be able to remove members from this particluar group.

Instead, you can create, edit and delete new groups from the Groups tab within the Admin Console. I would recommend checking out our Help Center article here that covers all points about creating and using groups to help manage access to your team’s folders. 

Essentially, in the case where you don’t want new members to have access immediately to certain folders, you will need to create a new group that you want to share those folders with. You can choose to manage the folders within the Admin console, remove the “Everyone at…” group, and add the new group to the folder. 

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions about this - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @MAARCH,

There is a default Group created automatically that includes all members of the team which is named along the lines of “Everyone at [Company Name]”. Since this is an automated group, you wouldn't be able to remove members from this particluar group.

Instead, you can create, edit and delete new groups from the Groups tab within the Admin Console. I would recommend checking out our Help Center article here that covers all points about creating and using groups to help manage access to your team’s folders. 

Essentially, in the case where you don’t want new members to have access immediately to certain folders, you will need to create a new group that you want to share those folders with. You can choose to manage the folders within the Admin console, remove the “Everyone at…” group, and add the new group to the folder. 

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions about this - Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MAARCH
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

thank you. we will give that a try. 

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
My pleasure @MAARCH!

I hope all goes well, but I’m always here if you have any questions during the process.

Have a great day - Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

MF_TBM
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

My team is having this exact same problem. We cannot figure out how to modify or get rid of this unwanted group. There's a folder in particular that we need to restrict access to but this automatically created group makes it visible to everyone. The best we can do is limit their access to "view only" which is still unacceptable. Why is this group so difficult to modify? 

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @MF_TBM, sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

Did you have the chance to look at the accepted solution here as it applies to how you can remedy the situation you described?

If there's any points that you're unsure of or need further assistance with then I'll be more than happy to help. I'll just need you to provide a little more info such as where you get stuck in the process.

Let me know if this helps - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

MF_TBM
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks Daphne, I figured out a workaround to restrict this group's access to a specific folder. Although, it would be useful to remove this "Everyone at" group, or completely limit it's access on a global level. It would be great if you could tell me how to do that.

I'll detail the procedure for restricting a group's access to a specific folder in case somone else runs into the same issue I did. 

To preface, I've created 2 new groups under the "groups" menu in the "Admin Console": one for top level access and one for limited access. 

Under 'Admin Console"  select "Content" then find the folder you want to restrict access to. Under "Manage" you can control the type of access a group will have per folder. 

Use the search bar to find the new group you created for top level access then hit "Share" to add it to the list. (As a side note, I would much prefer to see a list of my existing groups rather than having to type a search query) 

Next to the "Everyone at" group where it says "can edit" or "can view" select "remove" to take this group off the list. 

Now only members in the top level group can access this folder. 

Thx

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @MF_TBM,

Sounds like you got it all set up perfectly with the steps from the solution! I'm sure your step by step guide will be useful for others who also have the same query so thanks for taking the time to share that with us here.

As the "Everyone at [Company name]" group is an automated group which updates itself with the current members of the team, it's not a group that can be edited currently. That being said, it's also not a group that you need to use at all if you don't need to. Although I understand how you might want to remove this group entirely, perhaps you can share that idea here.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

infuse19
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So, we are not able to delete the "everyone at..." group?
What about to delete some of the members from that group? can we do that?
Thanks!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for joining us here @infuse19!

Since this group is updated automatically by the system with the current team members, you wouldn't be able to edit the members within the group. 

However, you can create a new group which you'll be able to fully edit and use this instead of the "Everyone at..." group.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    infuse19 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?