cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am an admin in my team but am unable to create Team folders. Is this a known issue?

I am an admin in my team but am unable to create Team folders. Is this a known issue?

New member | Level 2

I've registered for a new Business Advanced trial and only have the initial one user - the admin.

When I go to create a Team Folder, it says I don't have permissions. What am I doing wrong?

Here are the steps:

1. Login as the only user
  2. Go to Admin Console
  3. Select Content (I think I'me on the new system now, so no Team Folders as per some help files)
  4. Click New Folder on the right
  5. Enter folder name, in Who Can Access section, select Only You
  6. Click Create

After the above, I receive the error "You don't have permission to perform this action."

No folder is created.

I am also not able to complete the initial "Welcome to Dropbox Business" - first step (out of three) only shows the first Tip, when I click next - nothing happens.

I've also tried a different email and created another trial, separate from this one. But same error, just does not work.

What am I missing, or is there a problem?

3 Replies 3

Re: Are there any issues with Dropbox Business Advanced trial and Team Folders?

Dropboxer

Welcome to Dropbox Business and the Community @ibminitial

If you need a folder to only be accessed by you, I suggest to create it in your Purple folder under "Files". This way the members will not even see it.  If you choose to then share this folder from your purple folder with someone from the team, the folder will appear in their purple folder as well. 

Now, what you are doing should also work. I understand you are visiting the "Content tab", you are selecting to create a new folder, then when it asks who you want to provide access to, you select "Specific people" and finally you type your email and get an error. 

For any errors/loading issues on the web, you can try the following:

1. Clearing your browsers cache
  2. Another browser or incognito window. 

Let me know if the issue persists! Thank you. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

The issue does persist, it has been raised with Support, but if you can help here too, that would be welcome.

I'm preparing a company folder for the team to access later, hence this is why I go to Content and then look to create a folder there. I am not able to create a folder for "Only You" nor for "Specific People".

If I select "Only You", then I receive access error as stated above, if I enter "Specific People" - the window just closes, I am NOT asked to provide any email address.

I've tried this in Firefox, Edge and Internet Explorer 11 - the same happens on all.

I think there is an error with Dropbox and the account has not provisioned correctly... Can you check?

Dropboxer

Unfortunately I cannot check your account via the Community. We don't see account specific details for privacy reasons.

You should have the ability to create a Team folder that you can only access, so no worries we will make sure to get it fixed. 

I located your ticket with us and added notes to it. Please respond there with the information requested and the agent assisting you will include another level of support to your case, to have this investigated and solved. 

Thank you for your patience. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?