cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am having a question about Dropbox and Windows. Is Dropbox case insensitive?

I am having a question about Dropbox and Windows. Is Dropbox case insensitive?

New member | Level 2

Hi,

I have a folder in my Dropbox called "Mars2020" yet when I sync it to my local Windows 10 PC it appears as "mars2020".

Why is this?

I have applications that store paths to the files in this folder and if the case of the folder name is changed the applications won't run.

Why can't Dropbox maintain the case of the directory name when it's syncing it from the cloud to my Windows 10 PC?

thank you,

Zareh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox ignoes case

Dropboxer

Hey there Zareh ( @zarehgorjian) - welcome to our forums!

This is actually because Dropbox works in a case insensitive nature on Windows and Mac OSX as both OSes are case insensitive. Have you tried renaming it?

Note that in this case, I would suggest using only lower case names for your files and filepaths in order to avoid any conflicts with the rest of the software you're using.

I hope this helps to some extent and please let me know if there's anything else I can do from my end to assist with this. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Dropboxer

Hey there Zareh ( @zarehgorjian) - welcome to our forums!

This is actually because Dropbox works in a case insensitive nature on Windows and Mac OSX as both OSes are case insensitive. Have you tried renaming it?

Note that in this case, I would suggest using only lower case names for your files and filepaths in order to avoid any conflicts with the rest of the software you're using.

I hope this helps to some extent and please let me know if there's anything else I can do from my end to assist with this. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Helpful | Level 6

Hey, welcome to the 21st century!  Now please make your software work as expected on all of the systems you support, like Linux and MacOS (which can be setup with the filesystem being case sensitive).

Telling people to use only lower case filenames is NOT a reasonable option, as many developers use open source software which has no such constraints on it and storing and building it on Dropbox can cause things to break VERY BADLY!

Imagine having to go through the thousands of files in the Linux kernel to change all the filenames, then having to go through all of the files to change the references to the include files you just renamed, then having to go through all the configuration files so you can build it, etc., etc., etc...  It would take months before you could get a build done.  Then, when the software is updated you get a bazillion case conflicts again!

Please just fix the software and join the 21st century...

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?