cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't access some synced files. Any ideas what's happening?

I can't access some synced files. Any ideas what's happening?

New member | Level 2

I can only access files via web based portal. Whenever I try to access same file via synched DropBox folder on computer, I get a weird error with a path name that includes this symbol ~ several times and a message that says "The directory name is invalid." 

All folders have a green check mark to show updated and synched. Any help is appreciated. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cannot access synched files.

New member | Level 2

I figured it out. The Windows 10 version I am running has a pathway character limit of 250 characters. We have extremely long folder and subfolder names. After editing my registry and setting the character limit to unlimited, I no longer have the problem. Thank you for the quick responses in troubleshooting this issue.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Super User II
Is it all files or only some file types?

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

New member | Level 2

Some files. Seems to be a particular set of folders affected. 

Super User II
Have you tried renaming the folders then to remove the character thats causing the issue?

- - -

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

New member | Level 2
Well, that's part of the problem. The file name is only a few characters, but if I go into the documents properties - the file location reads as follows: (Needless to say, those pathways don't exist and are shortened by this ~ symbol.

C:confused face:Users\Marcus Harris\Dropbox (TANIKA'S BIZ ACCOUNT)\TJ2729~1.SOL\Clio\THELAW~1.SOL\THELAW~1\5PAROL~1\COMMUN~1

Super User II
Try renaming them at www.dropbox.com (its the file called TJ2729 and you need to remove the ~)

www.dropbox.com/bad_files_check

https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/files-not-syncing

- - -

New member | Level 2

I figured it out. The Windows 10 version I am running has a pathway character limit of 250 characters. We have extremely long folder and subfolder names. After editing my registry and setting the character limit to unlimited, I no longer have the problem. Thank you for the quick responses in troubleshooting this issue.

View solution in original post

New member | Level 2

What is the path to the registry key, please?

Dropboxer

Are you referring to the Windows Registry @Kenley35 ?

If that's the case, it should be the REGEDIT command - for more info please take a look below: 

https:confused face:/help.dropbox.com/syncing-uploads/access-windows-registry

Let us know how it goes!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

I'm familiar with using REGEDIT, but need to know where the DWORD is to change the file length restriction.

Thank you.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?