cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I joined my personal account with a team, how can I reverse this?

I joined my personal account with a team, how can I reverse this?

Explorer | Level 3

Undo Combine

One of my clients sent an invite to his dropbox. I was presented with the option to combine or create a new account. Since I already have a count I didn't want to go through and create a new one and add a new credit card. So I excepted the combine. It now appears that his dropbox is the master and has taken over mine. I have many clients accounts on there I need to have this reversed as soon as possible. I can't find out how to do this.

3 Replies 3

Re: Undo Combine

Dropboxer

Hi there @Perspect, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Joining a business team would indeed incorporate your account into the team. 

While the files in your account would remain in your personal purple folder and not be shared automatically with the team, you'll be able to see the team shared workspace too.

To converted your account back to a personal account, you'll need to request the team admin to remove you from the team with these steps.

Please just bear in mind that if this is a paid Business account, that your personal subscription would have been cancelled and received a pro-rated refund for the time remaining on your subscription.

In this case, you would need to upgrade again to a personal plan once they remove your account from the team.

Hope this info helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Daphne. One of your colleagues did send me an email on how to do this. I highly recommend the dropbox reconsider this process that they have set up. I can't see any instance where someone would want to forfeit being the admin of their own dropbox and give it to someone else with a simple click of a button. It could come off as being perceived as unsafe and placing my files at risk.

I've been using Dropbox for many years, today I had a conversation with a new client and they said that when they went to install dropbox it started uploading all of their files, perhaps they clicked the wrong button or something during the sign-up process. However it's been 16 hours and dropbox is not relinquish control of their folders. As you can imagine they kind of lean on me and asking why I suggested this.

This has forced me to seriously consider whether I would recommend dropbox to other clients. I have to watch my reputation as well.

Super User II

@Perspect wrote:

... today I had a conversation with a new client and they said that when they went to install dropbox it started uploading all of their files, perhaps they clicked the wrong button or something during the sign-up process

They likely activated the computer backup feature, which syncs the content of the Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?