cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I'm not able to copy the drop box link

I'm not able to copy the drop box link

shaye
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

As of this morning, I am no longer able to copy a drop box link to email it to a client.  Can you help?

13 Replies 13

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @shaye - sorry to hear about this! 

If I were in your shoes I would also try a re-install using our offline installer from this page.  Should this persist, I'd go with the advanced re-install too. If all these prove to be fruitless, I'd go ahead and log a ticket with the Dropbox Support team and let them know about this. 

Hopefully this will get you going Shaye. Please let me know what you find after my suggestions and we'll take it from there. 

Thanks in advance for your response and have a lovely day ahead!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

chris-of-dorking
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have this problem too, though it does work intermittently.  However, my email client (Thunderbird) has an extension called FileLink, which can be linked to Dropbox.  If you ask for an attachment to an email larger than a certain size (1MB by default, but changeable) it suggests you use the FileLink utility.  If you say yes it copies your file to a folder in your Dropbox folder (Dropbox/Apps/Thunderbird Cloudfile) and inserts a link into your email, when it has synched (sunch?).  You don't need to move or copy the file yourself or use the right-click menu to copy the link.  I'm sure other email clients have a similar utility, but Thunderbird happens to be the one I use.

It is still a bug in Dropbox though, and really ought to be fixed.  Incidentally, is it possible to get a link to the file from the Dropbox web site?  If so it isn't obvious how.

chris-of-dorking
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Incidentally, is it possible to get a link to the file from the Dropbox web site?  If so it isn't obvious how.

The answer to my last question is yes, and you do it by clicking the "share" box and following the prompts to get a link.  You can do this with a folder as well as just a file, whereas the Thunderbird extension only seems to work on files, so if you have several files, only one of which is over 1MB, it links that file, but the rest (which may add up to quite a bit) go as regular attachments.

chris-of-dorking
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Just recently everything started working as it should, namely  I right-click a file in your Dropbox folder and the menu includes a Dropbox sub-menu which includes "Copy Dropbox link".  If someone at Dropbox fixed it, congratulations and thank you.

Need more support?