cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to reorganise all my folders including those containing shared folders

I want to reorganise all my folders including those containing shared folders

New member | Level 2

We want to reorganise our filing system.

That sounds easy to do but moving shared folders  into new structures is proving problematic.

We have used dropbox for years and have thousands of folders and the structure is getting messy and I want toquickly tidy everything up by moving folders around.

HELP.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: I want to reorganise all my folders including those containing shared folders

Super User

You cannot put one shared folder inside another shared folder. You can create new folders, and organise them according to your convenience. Then put shared folders in the respective category.

For example, say you have shared folder from your customers (say, two shared folders called customer1, customer2), from family members (say, two folders Jane, Adam) etc.

Inside your Dropbox, you create two folders, say, Customer_info and Family. Next, you can move (drag and drop) customer1 and customer2 inside Customer_info, and Jane and Adam inside Family. Note that you should not share the top lebel folders (in this case Customer_info or Family). In this way you can create a hierarchy of folders and organize your shared folders.  

View solution in original post

Re: I want to reorganise all my folders including those containing shared folders

Super User II
Just to add to what Elixir has said.

Moving shared folders around is absolutely fine (with the restrictions as mentioned above), BUT, when you do so you need to be patient. The software will take time to update to say it has happened and in this time will say you've left the share, deleted files, added files and then eventually rejoined. Dont panic. Thats fine, it will sort itself if you just give it time

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Dropboxer
Hey jameswdcrawford, thanks for checking in with us on the Dropbox Forum, I hope your week has been productive so far & I’d happily chime in on this inquiry! 

Firstly, I appreciate Elixir’s & Mark’s tips here, as they’ve both sent over some great advice. Taking it from there, I’d like to fire a long shot & see if it’s of any assistance on your folder re-distribution. 

If I were in your shoes (i.e. assuming that you’re working on a Dropbox team account & you’re the account admin), I’d re-shape my content structure in smaller batches & slowly roll the new folder structure using the Team Selective Sync feature. In other words, I’d first replicate my structure, re-arranging my sharing tree or Groups when appropriate (eg. I’d change sharing settings or I’d edit individual member permissions) & then I’d roll out the new scheme to my team. Once again, I’d have to quote AgentJay’s detailed post on Team Folders & team organization here

Especially when it comes to the last step above, in order to avoid syncing all the changes at once, I’d apply Team Selective Sync & do it either on each department or for certain content, so as to keep on top of the process (& allow for parallel syncing of any simultaneous changes). 

To re-phrase what Mark has mentioned previously though, give the application some time to sync the changes & from there you’ll be good to go. 

Hopefully this is helpful to you, though let me know how these steps work for you or in case you’d like me to explain any of the above in more detail & I’ll do my best to check back with you. Thanks again & I’m wishing you a fruitful week ahead!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

3 Replies 3

Super User

You cannot put one shared folder inside another shared folder. You can create new folders, and organise them according to your convenience. Then put shared folders in the respective category.

For example, say you have shared folder from your customers (say, two shared folders called customer1, customer2), from family members (say, two folders Jane, Adam) etc.

Inside your Dropbox, you create two folders, say, Customer_info and Family. Next, you can move (drag and drop) customer1 and customer2 inside Customer_info, and Jane and Adam inside Family. Note that you should not share the top lebel folders (in this case Customer_info or Family). In this way you can create a hierarchy of folders and organize your shared folders.  

Super User II
Just to add to what Elixir has said.

Moving shared folders around is absolutely fine (with the restrictions as mentioned above), BUT, when you do so you need to be patient. The software will take time to update to say it has happened and in this time will say you've left the share, deleted files, added files and then eventually rejoined. Dont panic. Thats fine, it will sort itself if you just give it time

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Dropboxer
Hey jameswdcrawford, thanks for checking in with us on the Dropbox Forum, I hope your week has been productive so far & I’d happily chime in on this inquiry! 

Firstly, I appreciate Elixir’s & Mark’s tips here, as they’ve both sent over some great advice. Taking it from there, I’d like to fire a long shot & see if it’s of any assistance on your folder re-distribution. 

If I were in your shoes (i.e. assuming that you’re working on a Dropbox team account & you’re the account admin), I’d re-shape my content structure in smaller batches & slowly roll the new folder structure using the Team Selective Sync feature. In other words, I’d first replicate my structure, re-arranging my sharing tree or Groups when appropriate (eg. I’d change sharing settings or I’d edit individual member permissions) & then I’d roll out the new scheme to my team. Once again, I’d have to quote AgentJay’s detailed post on Team Folders & team organization here

Especially when it comes to the last step above, in order to avoid syncing all the changes at once, I’d apply Team Selective Sync & do it either on each department or for certain content, so as to keep on top of the process (& allow for parallel syncing of any simultaneous changes). 

To re-phrase what Mark has mentioned previously though, give the application some time to sync the changes & from there you’ll be good to go. 

Hopefully this is helpful to you, though let me know how these steps work for you or in case you’d like me to explain any of the above in more detail & I’ll do my best to check back with you. Thanks again & I’m wishing you a fruitful week ahead!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?