Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I was recently charged for an annual plan by mistake. What can I do?

Explorer | Level 3

I was recenlty charged $1,000 for some annual plan I never asked for. I have tried dozens of times to e-mail dropbox help admin etc etc and not a single response - thi sis insaine, I'm a little one man band and to extort money like this does not represent modern corp ethics in any way - Has anyone else had his issue? I'll be taking this to our local MP

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Billing

Super User II
Super User II

Unfortunately when you signed up @sfh you are told, repeatedly, what the costs are and have to agree them repeatedly. Dropbox shows you clearly that its a minimum of 5 (or now in some cases 3) users. It is sadly nobody's fault if you've not read that. The issue is not, as you say with your credit union, it is you unfortunately. YOU did not read what YOU were signing up and agreeing to and YOU did not notice that for nearly half a year.

Legally Dropbox have done nothing wrong - and the District Attorney will tell you that. Heck, you can check it yourself be starting to follow the sign up procedures through again now.

Unfortunately nobody at all on here can help. Its a public forum. The only people who can are Dropbox via their support teams. You can track your current tickets and add comments to it at http://dropbox.zendesk.com or, if needed, log a new ticket at www.dropbox.com/support.

[This thread is now closed due to inactivity. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

thesodapressco wrote:

I was recenlty charged $1,000 for some annual plan I never asked for.

You signed up for a trial of a Dropbox for Business account and failed to cancel before the trial ended. This results in an automatic subscription at the account level and number of users that you selected at the start of the trial. This information was presented to you while signing up for the trial.

You can try to reach out to Dropbox Support for assistance with this, but Dropbox does have a no refunds policy unless legally required, as explained in their terms.

As a Dropbox for Business user you have access to phone support. The phone number and required PIN can be found in your Admin console. You can also open a ticket with Support.

Open your ticket here: https://bit.ly/cm-support
Track your ticket here: https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Replies take approximately 1 - 3 business days with Plus users getting priority (longer for Basic users).

Since this is a billing related matter and will required discussing private details, only Support will be able to assist you. This matter cannot be handled on the forums.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

There is no phone number within my admin console

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

It's located under Help.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Nope you're wrong - It's been 'closed' for a day and its not a phone number, looks like a virtual chat nonsense like we are doing whcih takes far longer in time sopent a case duration than a simple conversation whcih I'd expect given the amount you have pilfered from my account

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qgk3335oso9otvx/AADkBjgbX2yGG7Pz0E0T783aa?dl=0

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @thesodapressco

Apologies for any difficulties experienced with getting in contact with support. Just to clarify a little further:

telephone receiver

If you signed up for an Advanced or Enterprise Dropbox Business team, then you should be able to find a contact number in your Admin Console.

speech balloon

Otherwise, if you signed up for a Standard Business Team, you have the ability to live chat with Dropbox Support.  

Keep in mind that you can always submit a support request at www.dropbox.com/support for further assistance with your recent charge.

&& if you do so, feel free to reply to this post with your ticket ID so I can have a search for it in our system and follow up with you via email. 

Thanks in advance and I'll be happy to stay up-to-date with you on this and assist you in any way I can.

Best, 
Karina

smiling face with smiling eyes

Karina
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
Ah, right. I keep forgetting that the Business account was split into multiple tiers, and only the top two provide phone support. Sorry about that.
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Yeap, no problem! 

Karina
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6
Live phone support is exclusive to Business Advanced and Enterprise users. Business user have live chat support which accessible in the the admin console under the "help" tab
Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I was overcharged by $60/mo for up to five months of service that was auto withdrawn out of my checking account I just learned via my bank. I only intended to sign up to try a license worth of $15/mo per one user and was charged for five licenses at $15/license/person though I am a sole proprietor and did not have any other users involved. I don't need five licenses as I am a one person shop who works with lots of clients and other crew, team members. I contacted Dropbox Support and Billing and I was not able to reach anyone via phone directly. I also did not receive any real acknowledgement of the overcharging problen and was totally blown off with "sorry" that happened as if Dropbox had nothing to do with the problem at hand. I was ultimately told by Billing at Dropbox to go talk to my bank about getting help with any refunding of the $300. total of overcharges I was seeking to get help with. In other words, I was told my issue was not anything Dropbox wanted to help out with and they did not show any effort to research or find a solution for my overcharges. My bank which is actually a Credit Union is not in a position to credit such refund charges from a vendor, which is flush with cash and profits. They are not a commercial bank who can afford to refund $300. worth of overcharges by Dropbox. They may help credit me with two months of overcharges after they research my situation with Dropbox. I'm mostly utterly surprised by Dropbox' lack of customer service and accountability in any real way. I am thankful I used to use Dropbox at a Basic level and appreciated their service then. Now I understand they are using questionable business tactics per the entire above scenario. I am a very small business and I simply can not afford to be bullied by a large Silicon Valley business like Dropbox. I am looking into getting help from my State District Attorney's office that will investigate the business overcharges by Dropbox, and will check into some other places to get support. I would rather not settle by possibly getting a small refund from my hard working Credit Union when the billing problem stems from Dropbox' way of doing questionable business and is not customer friendly or just, bottomline. Too bad Dropbox! You have an opportunity to turn this situation of overcharges around and not lose a customer who has a broad network of potential users of your service. 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?