cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Os X 10.13 High Sierra & Smart Sync

Inability to Activate Smart Sync (remote management software & third party pointing device drivers).

c1000
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Any luck?  I have a machine that I just updated to 10.13.4 and clicking "Allow" still does nothing for enabling the smart sync extension. 

EDIT: I was trying to do this via VNC to a mac that did not have a display, keyboard, or mouse attached.  Once I attached those items, I was able to click the "Allow" button.  Apparently you cannot click that button from a VNC session.  Lesson learned.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks @Jay + @Lancelot.

We did end up getting to the bottom of this. This isn't a "bug", but a change in behaviour that only happens in certain circumstances.
My guess here is that you have a graphics tablet or 3rd party mouse connected perhaps @Lancelot?
As this is designed behaviour by Apple, it's not something that we're currently trying to fix.

The following will work and isn't too complicated, even if it may seem it:

1. Restart your computer, holding down command+R to enter Recovery Mode
2. Open your Terminal app (Located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal)
3. Copy and paste the following line into the Terminal.

spctl kext-consent add G7HH3F8CAK

4. After this you can restart the machine, and let it load as normal. Once restarted, you can re-install Dropbox again. When Dropbox has finished installing, while it will not prompt you again to install Smart Sync, the required components will now be present on your machine.

Hope this helps you!

Here's a bit more context for the technically minded:

As above, this isn't a bug, but infact designed behaviour by Apple. 

To improve security on macOS, kernel extensions installed with or after the installation of macOS High Sierra require user consent to load. This is known as User Approved Kernel Extension Loading. Any user can approve a kernel extension, even if they don’t have administrator privileges. (Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208019)

Unfortunately for us, Apple blocks certain GUI inputs from successfully clicking the approve button in System Preferences. There is no feedback to the user about why the approval fails. The two situations that this happens are:

1. If the end user clicking the approve button is using remote management software like VNC or TeamViewer to access the system and perform the approval operation.

2. If a third party pointing device driver -- like Logitech or Wacom -- is installed.

View solution in original post

41 Replies 41

monaronyc
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Guys, sorry for the delay in responding, but yes, i have to say that since the 10.13.4 update to High Sierra, we are finally seeing some relief with Smart Sync. I tried installing DB a couple of ways just to be sure. We tried installing under a new image. New install. Clean install. As well as an upgrade in-place. Yosemite to High Sierra to be exact. So not sure what's happening in your environment. Give us a little more detail. Maybe we can figure it out for you

IIT
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

For anyone experiencing this issue we have now resolved it. The issue we experienced with nothing happening when we clicked the Allow button was due to the fact we were trying this using remote control tools.

OSX Sierra prevents 3rd party apps that emulate the mouse from pressing this button. As soon as we had the end user press the Allow button using the direct connected mouse/trackpad this enabled Smart Sync on the device.

Confirmed working on OSX 10.13.4 with Dropbox Client v47.4.74

paulowen8
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hey C1000,

following your edit :

EDIT: I was trying to do this via VNC to a mac that did not have a display, keyboard, or mouse attached.  Once I attached those items, I was able to click the "Allow" button.  Apparently you cannot click that button from a VNC session.  Lesson learned.  

Can I just state that you saved us such aggro as the Dropbox support has been abismal for us, as we were remoting onto users workstations, on attempting to press allow through our remote software we encountered the same issue  due to the updated security within High Sierra!

For all, I advise that you make sure Mac's are on the latest update : 10.13.4 and if you are enabling Smart Sync, ensure that the user has admin privlidges and would advise doing it in person on the Mac itself, or asking the end user to press on the "Allow" button if you are doing it remote otherwise it won't work. The workstation will then need to reboot.

We have tested this and it has now worked for us for one user, so we will now roll this out for another 20 users.

Hope this helps people!

@c1000

IIT
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for the pointer on the VNC - this was the issue for us also as we were trying to enable it remotely using 3rd party RMM

usegnini
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks, it worked... amazing. Once again the mysteries of code.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Just to jump in here, it's always best to state exactly how you're changing details on the machine. 

If you're using VNC, remote logins, teamviewer, or any other software, this can conflict with the OS, as @IIT said. If emulated mouse presses aren't allowed, then you're prevented from doing even the most basic of functions.

Without telling us this aspect, you're preventing us from investigating the matter in further detail. Even though to you it might be insignificant to login to a user's machine remotely, bear in mind this isn't the standard method for our own troubleshooting, and it could indicate more issues than a simple mouse emulation.

We're glad to hear that this has helped all the users so far in relation to clicking the Allow button. If however anyone is still experiencing problems, please let us know more!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

IIT
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for your update.

Some feedback for your support (Dropbox).

You never asked the question or were you (Dropbox) aware of this issue with remote access on Apple devices or you would have suggested it as a possible solution. I have found the support from Dropbox in resolving this issue very poor and whilst the community has been a significantly more helpful resource.

The community has identified an issue and fix and I suggest it's added to your KB or documentation for deplying and enabling smart sync on Mac devices so other users don't waste days of their time looking for the fix and re-building machines.

c1000
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Glad I was able to help!

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @wendywdf, it would be better to post your question in a more suitable forum, as our community deals with Dropbox-related issues. You may try using an online search service to get results more relevant to your query.

Cheers! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Need more support?