cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inviting people to a business account

Inviting people to a business account

jazzmeg1
Advanced Collaborator | Level 16

Hello, I have a couple of questions about inviting people to a business account.

1. When you invite people to a DB business account, do they have to have an email address with the same domain? Can you send an invite to their personal email address?
  2. If the answer to question 1 is yes: 
    If someone already has a personal account with their personal email address and accepts the invitation to the business account, what will happen to the personal contents in the new business account? Is it better to send an invite to a different email address from the one used for their personal account?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Inviting people to a business account

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @jazzmeg1, thanks for joining the Community!

When you invite people, their email can be with any domain name, it doesn't have to be your business domain.

Assuming they have a Dropbox account under that email, they have the option of merging their data to the team, meaning the team admin will own the data, or moving their data to another account under a different email.

Regardless, the email address itself would become part of the team, either with or without the original data.

If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @jazzmeg1, thanks for joining the Community!

When you invite people, their email can be with any domain name, it doesn't have to be your business domain.

Assuming they have a Dropbox account under that email, they have the option of merging their data to the team, meaning the team admin will own the data, or moving their data to another account under a different email.

Regardless, the email address itself would become part of the team, either with or without the original data.

If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

jazzmeg
Helpful | Level 6

Thank you!!!

Limit access to invited members without members having to join the team

wjp007
New member | Level 2

I want to limit access to members whose email I share a folder to.  The issue is when I send it, the user on the other side who doesn't have a dropbox account gets a prompt to join the team.  I know they can X out that prompt, but it's not obvious.  When they ask to join the team, I get a request to add them to the team and it starts billing me for a new license.  I simply want the person I invite to access the folder without having to join the team.  Is there a way to do this?

Re: Limit access to invited members without members having to join the team

Megan
Dropboxer
Hi @wjp007, welcome to our Community! 

Let me ask: do you share a team folder or a simple one?

Also, how do you share the folder on your end? Do you get billed automatically without you confirming it?

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropboxer
    wjp007 New member | Level 2
    jazzmeg Helpful | Level 6
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?