cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Dropbox plus GDPR compliant?

Is Dropbox plus GDPR compliant?

New member | Level 2

Hi

I currently store client information I work on via my Dropbox Plus account. Please would you confirm that Dropbox Plus meets the GDPR criteria that everyone is rushing to comply with at the moment? I understand that Dropbox Business is, but it is not expressly stated that my files in the Plus account would be treated in the same secure way. I do not need a Business account as the Plus account serves my needs.

Please would you confirm that the data storage services you offer on Dropbox Plus comply with the EU/US Privacy Shield?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is Dropbox plus GDPR compliant?

Super User II
Hi Anita

Have a look at https:confused face:/www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Sharing-and-collaboration/GDPR-Compliance-for-Personal-Free-Accounts/m...

Dropbox IS GDPR compliant, but, like most of this stuff its based upon your own Risk Assessments.

I am using Dropbox to store information on my business (swim school enrolments, first aid course records and employee information) and have been told as long as I am clear with the customers and clients where and how I store it that is fine. It is the same with emails (think Office365/Hotmail or Gmail) as you'll never get them to send you a personal contract of compliance. There has to be a bit of common sense applied to things.

My legal and HR teams are quite happy with the continued use of Dropbox based upon its updated Safe Harbour compliance and, as I said above, informing people what I do with their data.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Re: Is Dropbox plus GDPR compliant?

Super User II
Hi Anita

Have a look at https:confused face:/www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Sharing-and-collaboration/GDPR-Compliance-for-Personal-Free-Accounts/m...

Dropbox IS GDPR compliant, but, like most of this stuff its based upon your own Risk Assessments.

I am using Dropbox to store information on my business (swim school enrolments, first aid course records and employee information) and have been told as long as I am clear with the customers and clients where and how I store it that is fine. It is the same with emails (think Office365/Hotmail or Gmail) as you'll never get them to send you a personal contract of compliance. There has to be a bit of common sense applied to things.

My legal and HR teams are quite happy with the continued use of Dropbox based upon its updated Safe Harbour compliance and, as I said above, informing people what I do with their data.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?