cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to copy folder permissions on a Dropbox Business account?

Is it possible to copy folder permissions on a Dropbox Business account?

Explorer | Level 3

I have created a team folder structure with two subfolder levels.

Parent folder

Folder Level 1: eg Project

Folder Level 2: eg Management, Financial, Procuction, Engineering etc

For Level 2 folders  I have given specific group permisions after I have removed inhereted permissions. So Level 1 is accessible to all but level 2 is accessible depending on the group.

I have tried to copy the Level 2 folders to a new Level 1 folder (in order to repeat the same folder structure) but the permissions are not coppied (the coppied subfolders are accesible to all). Is there a way to copy the folder structure below level 1 (actually create a second project with the same permissions) so I don't have to set all permissions again each time a new project starts? (There are 14 level 2 folders!!)

This is realy important for the migration of our filesystem to Dropbox Business.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Copy folder permissions

Dropboxer

Great, feels like we’re getting there! Your understanding is right @vlachos_ada, therefore there isn’t currently a way to copy your folder-structure permissions pattern from an existing tree to a new one.

To elaborate a bit on granular permissions, it would be worth mentioning that your best course of action would be setting permissions in the Top-Folder level & modify as you go (though you could also share the subfolder of each project separately like "ProjectA-SubFolder1", "ProjectA-Subfolder2" if this serves the purpose).

To my mind, it would also be preferable to restrict editing the top-level of the team space only to admins (i.e. through their Content tab), in order to control that on your end or limit to yourself & other administration members. If you'd like to follow my advice, you could have a look at the steps outlined here: 

Spoiler

Admins can choose if all members or only admins can edit the top-level of the team space. The top-level is the first set of folder that you see in the Files section of your account on dropbox.com.

To change this setting:

#1. Sign in to dropbox.com with your admin account & click Admin console.
#2. Click Settings.
#3. Under Content, click Top-level editing.
#4. Click the drop-down and choose the right setting for your team:
- Everyone: All team members can edit the top-level of the team space.
- Only admins: Only admins can edit the top-level of the team space. Team members can’t add files or folders to this level of the space.
#5. Click Save.

Once you choose Only admins, you can use the Content tab to add, delete, rename, or move content in the top-level of the team space. This way, you'll be able to set sharing policies & let end users manage shared folders, if they'd like to spin up projects rapidly. 

From there, you can also utilize Groups, in order to classify all users with similar permissions together & simplify sharing.

I hope that my advice points you towards the right direction, though please do let me know how my suggestions work for you on this discussion!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Dropboxer
Hey @vlachos_ada, happy Monday! 

It’s my understanding that you’re currently working on the new Dropbox Business structure, where your team shares a team space. If so, then everyone on your team should be able to access the team space, and everyone sees the same folder structure. 

Just so as to make sure I’m following up with you correctly, can you let me know whether you’re trying to copy your folder contents in a subfolder of your team member folder (note: it should have a purple folder icon with one person on it & your name) or in the team space? 

If the latter is happening, then it’s worth noting that copying a folder in the team space copies the contents of the folder, but doesn't copy the permissions to that folder. If you paste a folder into a part of the team space that you Can Edit, the folder has the same permissions as its new location.

For example: a small brand team can access the "New logo designs" folder. You copy the "New logo designs" folder and paste it into the "Marketing" folder that your entire team can access. Everyone on your team now can access the copy of "New logo designs" in the "Marketing" folder.

To re-iterate my description above, you’ll have to reset permissions anew in the sub-folder level, in case you’d like to retain previously applied settings in the new location. 

Hopefully this answers your question & please do keep me updated on this discussion on how my pointers work for you or if I’ve misunderstood your query in any way. Thanks  for getting in touch on our Community & enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

Dear Jane,

I believe you understood the situation perfectly and thank you for your answer.

Apparently copying a folder to a new location does not retain the permissions, the copied folder automaticaly inherits the permissions from its parent folder.

Now my question is this. If my company had 100 projects, each project having the same subfolder structure and permissions, in order to migrate to Dropbox business, I would need to manualy set the permissions for 100x(number of subfolders in each project)?

Is there any other (more practical) way for Dropbox to do this? It could be for example  a way to duplicate a folder with the same permissions.  Otherwise I cannot really see the advantage of the feature that allows me to set the prermissions for each folder intependently of its parent (I believe that is termed "granulated permissions" by Dropbox) if I have to do it manually every time.

The Alternative would be to share the subfolder of each project separately like "ProjectA-SubFolder1", "ProjectA-Subfolder2" etc. which is not very practical.

Dropboxer

Great, feels like we’re getting there! Your understanding is right @vlachos_ada, therefore there isn’t currently a way to copy your folder-structure permissions pattern from an existing tree to a new one.

To elaborate a bit on granular permissions, it would be worth mentioning that your best course of action would be setting permissions in the Top-Folder level & modify as you go (though you could also share the subfolder of each project separately like "ProjectA-SubFolder1", "ProjectA-Subfolder2" if this serves the purpose).

To my mind, it would also be preferable to restrict editing the top-level of the team space only to admins (i.e. through their Content tab), in order to control that on your end or limit to yourself & other administration members. If you'd like to follow my advice, you could have a look at the steps outlined here: 

Spoiler

Admins can choose if all members or only admins can edit the top-level of the team space. The top-level is the first set of folder that you see in the Files section of your account on dropbox.com.

To change this setting:

#1. Sign in to dropbox.com with your admin account & click Admin console.
#2. Click Settings.
#3. Under Content, click Top-level editing.
#4. Click the drop-down and choose the right setting for your team:
- Everyone: All team members can edit the top-level of the team space.
- Only admins: Only admins can edit the top-level of the team space. Team members can’t add files or folders to this level of the space.
#5. Click Save.

Once you choose Only admins, you can use the Content tab to add, delete, rename, or move content in the top-level of the team space. This way, you'll be able to set sharing policies & let end users manage shared folders, if they'd like to spin up projects rapidly. 

From there, you can also utilize Groups, in order to classify all users with similar permissions together & simplify sharing.

I hope that my advice points you towards the right direction, though please do let me know how my suggestions work for you on this discussion!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Explorer | Level 3

I have this exact same issue and requirement.  The answer provided really doesn't solve the issue, only says it's not possible and you could build an entirely different file structure.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?