cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to search for all folders/files shared with someone outside our team?

Is there a way to search for all folders/files shared with someone outside our team?

New member | Level 2

We're a small company with external collaborators/consultants that come and go on a fairly regular basis. As such, we share certain files with these "outsiders." When our business relationships end, however,  we want to remove them for security purposes, but it's often hard to track down all the files on which they're shared

Is there a way to identify folders that are shared outside your team, or a way to access a master list of people (both internal and external) who are shared on files anywhere in your Dropbox?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is there a way to search for all folders/files shared with someone outside our team?

Dropboxer
Hey @ceg045, that’s an interesting question & thanks a lot for posting us here on the matter! 

While there isn’t currently a master list of files shared with people outside of your team, you could create an Activity Log for the following actions, that would give you some hints on the files you’ve shared externally: 

• Changed a non-team member's role in a shared folder
  • Invited non-team members to a shared folder
  • Opened a file (non-team member)
  • Opened a link (non-team member)
  • Opened a folder (non-team member)
  • Downloaded a file (non-team member)
  • Shared a link with non-team members
  • Joined/ Left a shared folder (non-team member)

In other words, if you quickly search for non-team on your Activity tab in the admin console, you'll get some results that'll also include Showcase/ Paper files &c. 

Hopefully my tip above addresses your initial inquiry, though do let me know here in case you need further assistance, so as to follow-up with you more closely. Enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Re: Is there a way to search for all folders/files shared with someone outside our team?

Dropboxer
Hey @ceg045, that’s an interesting question & thanks a lot for posting us here on the matter! 

While there isn’t currently a master list of files shared with people outside of your team, you could create an Activity Log for the following actions, that would give you some hints on the files you’ve shared externally: 

• Changed a non-team member's role in a shared folder
  • Invited non-team members to a shared folder
  • Opened a file (non-team member)
  • Opened a link (non-team member)
  • Opened a folder (non-team member)
  • Downloaded a file (non-team member)
  • Shared a link with non-team members
  • Joined/ Left a shared folder (non-team member)

In other words, if you quickly search for non-team on your Activity tab in the admin console, you'll get some results that'll also include Showcase/ Paper files &c. 

Hopefully my tip above addresses your initial inquiry, though do let me know here in case you need further assistance, so as to follow-up with you more closely. Enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

View solution in original post

Search for all folders shared to a none Team Member

Explorer | Level 4

How can i search all Folders to find if a specific non Team member is shared to  Folders

I need to get a list to make sure they have been removed from all the possible folders they were shared too.

Thank you

Matt

Re: Search for all folders shared to a none Team Member

Dropboxer
Hey Matt (@matt_geiger), I’ve moved your post here, in order to ping you on my suggestions above. Please have a look at your convenience & let me know how my advice works for you whenever you get a chance. 

Thanks for getting in touch on our Community & happy November until we talk again! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?