cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Desktop app crashes on mac 10.11.6 after upgrading

Issue with the Dropbox application v52 (freezing/ crashing) on Mac devices.

teranisi
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Recently I noticed Dropbox.app is not running on my MacBook Pro (El Capitan).

When I run following command on a terminal,

$ /Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox

many messages are listed, and after a while, it stops as follows.

..... dropbox: thread d0eb58 is not a python thread

Segmentation fault: 11

The version is the latest version which I downloaded from the site today.

Any suggestions?

65 Replies 65

k0t2004
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Read my second message on this thread. It's not a very good solution but it works.

And you can always manually upgrade your version to the latest one when they fix it.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Does an Advanced reinstall work? https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/advanced-reinstall

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

sbonaretti
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi! I get exactly the same error. I have contacted the support team 4 days ago, and I am still waiting. Can you help me too, please? I really need dropbox for work! Thanks!

lhac
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have this issue too since last thursday. 

The fix with installing the old version and deleting the updater did not work in my case, it still updates somehow. 

The crash report implies some "com.getdropbox.dropbox" and "garcon" processes get active.

k0t2004
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

You should download offline installer and turn off the Internet connection before deleting the updater executable, because the app starts updating immediately after install.

fertinaz
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello everyone

When I try to launch Dropbox on my mac (OS: 10.12), I receive the following error:

dropbox: load fq extension '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-resources/CFNetwork._manual.cpython-35m-darwin.so'

[23475:12271273:20180624,162348.753847:INFO thread_snapshot_mac.cc:279] dropbox: thread bb3eb2 is not a python thread

Segmentation fault: 11

Please see attached files for the full log.

Re-installing didn't work. Do you have any ideas?

log_headlog_headlog_taillog_tail

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @fertinaz, I moved your post here to keep similar topics together. 

I’ve also passed this information to our team to investigate this matter further.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

PeteDav
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This was the fix - but not it uses Terminal so obviously more potential to do damage. I think the challenge may be to ensure that you have a completely fresh install and whatever way you can achieve that. I'm not an expert on this - so don't know if this would be approriate for all types. Also if you have multiple accounts more work may be needed to re-sync etc. 

We have a business account and I have to say the support has been really good.

""To ensure that the software is working correctly, I’d like you to do a complete reinstall to try to fix the problem.

This will not affect or remove the files in your Dropbox folder.

Please save and quit all programs accessing files in the Dropbox folder, and then follow these instructions:

Note: Please be sure to take note or take a screenshot of any Selective Sync settings you may have applied as well as the location of your Dropbox folder (if not in the default location) prior to re-installing, as you will need to match these settings upon re-install.

Stop Dropbox (If needed):

Click the Dropbox icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen
Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select 'Quit Dropbox'

Download the newest version:

https://www.dropbox.com/downloading

Open your Terminal app (Located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal)

Copy and paste the following lines into the Terminal, ONE AT A TIME, and press ENTER after each one. PLEASE make sure you copy and paste these commands (don't type them by hand), as getting them wrong could cause some harm. You'll be prompted for your computer's admin password (not your Dropbox password) after entering the first command. Keep in mind that the password field in the terminal will remain blank as you type your password. After you type it, just press ENTER. You'll know that these instructions complete normally once the initial line of text (called prompt) comes up again:

sudo chown "$USER" "$HOME"

sudo chown -R "$USER" ~/Dropbox

sudo chmod -R u+rw ~/Dropbox

sudo mv ~/.dropbox ~/.Trash/dropbox.old

sudo chmod -N ~

sudo mv /Library/DropboxHelperTools ~/DropboxHelperTools.old

Please note that once the prompt displays, the instruction completed the requested task and is ready for the next command. If the command returns an error or does not respond after an hour, you may want to try restarting your computer and try these steps again.

Delete the Dropbox application from the Applications folder. You may need to provide your computer password in order to perform this action.

Open the .dmg file from step # 2 and double click the Dropbox icon to install Dropbox.

When Dropbox has finished installing, during the initial setup and sign in process, apply any Selective Sync settings you may have had prior to the reinstall and select the Dropbox folder location (if not in the default location).

IMPORTANT NOTE: Because this process removes the previous settings and configuration, if you wish to avoid re-downloading your Dropbox content, you will need to manually choose the location for Dropbox to sync to, otherwise you will create a new Dropbox folder which will start to download your content again.

To select your already established folder on your drive, after signing in and choosing which folders to sync, and before you click on "Open my Dropbox folder", you should see an "Advanced Settings" link, click on this.

Then you can choose the parent folder of the already established Dropbox folder. For example, if you have your Dropbox folder in the path "/Volumes/DifferentPlace/Dropbox (Team)" you'll want to select the folder "/Volumes/DifferentPlace/".

At the end of this process, after clicking "Open my Dropbox folder", it might take some time to re-index the files and sync any pending changes.

Please note that any changes made to the files in the Dropbox folder, the web interface or other linked devices while the folder was "off-line", will generate conflicted copies:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/36

Finally, this process only works when linking to the exact same account that was previously linked to this computer. If you'd like to merge accounts, please refer to the following Help Center article:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/9104

If you have any additional questions please let me know and I’ll be happy to assist!""

PeteDav
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

N.B. it didn't seem to fully work at first but started to recover and then by second restart was fully functional again.

liannelli
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes, it happened the same to me: the first time after following an advanced reinstallation the app crashed but then, after rebooting the system, everything worked fine.

Need more support?