cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Desktop app crashes on mac 10.11.6 after upgrading

Issue with the Dropbox application v52 (freezing/ crashing) on Mac devices.

teranisi
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Recently I noticed Dropbox.app is not running on my MacBook Pro (El Capitan).

When I run following command on a terminal,

$ /Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox

many messages are listed, and after a while, it stops as follows.

..... dropbox: thread d0eb58 is not a python thread

Segmentation fault: 11

The version is the latest version which I downloaded from the site today.

Any suggestions?

65 Replies 65

phav
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem over here. We use Dropbox Business.

All computers running Yosemite have problems (other computers don't have a problem). We can install a clean Dropbox app (older version), but as soon as the automatic update has run, the app quits. Apparently the latest version of the Dropbox app is not compatible with Yosemite. And there is no way to inactivate the automatic update! We hope Dropbox fixes this problem very soon…

lhac
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thank you, that is what I have done. But the program finds a way to update itself anyway, within 15 min or so, and then it crashes again after the update, which I cannot seem to prevent from happening.

The other "fix" with the clean install by PeteDav did not work either.

k0t2004
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I can confirm that Advanced Reinstall doesn't work. The app starts crashing right after reinstallation.

However I was able to rollback again.

The one thing I forgot to mentinon, you need to manually change a version number in DropBox .plist file. Looks like it prevents the app from updating.

The file location is /Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Info.plist there are two parameters to change: Bundle version and Bundle version  string. I set them to 52.4.58

niko321
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Tried doing this, but got the same results at bwa. please follow up with further instructions!

ItsComplicated
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same problem. The suggested solutions did not work.

To show you how the problem looks like, I have this video: https://vimeo.com/276867350

The problem only occurs with Yosemite 10.10.5 – newer versions do work (but some software is not compatible with newer versions, so I have to use Yosemite).

I have asked the support for help (on Thursday 21th June 2018 ); until now (Monday 25th June 2018 ) I have now answer. I am a paying customer (Dropbox Plus). 

So I hope there will be a fix soon.

All the best

On MacOS Yosemite 10.10.5 the Dropbox desktop app (52.4.48) crashes right after the start.

mvl
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am having the same problem, but I am on Mac OS X 10.11.6 (El Capitan).

Dropbox had worked just fine till last Thursday.

I cannot open the Dropbox app anymore. The Dropbox icon has disappeared from the menu bar.

It is still possible to start the app as long as I am not connected to the internet. The second I establish a connection to the internet the app crashes. 

Could it be possible that the problem is caused by the latest security update of Mac OS X (2018-003)? The problems with the Dropbox desktop app have started since I installed the update. 

Has anyone else, who is facing problems with the Dropbox app, installed the latest Mac OS X update?

adamdz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I have several users with El Capitan. Dropbox won't launch on their Macs. I'm upgrading them to High Sierra to see if that helps.

Lucio
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thank you so much to all of you that reported this issue or commented about it.

We're currently investigating an issue that could be affecting the Dropbox desktop application on certain Mac computers with OS versions 10.9 through 10.12. More recent versions seem to not present issues.

Positive vibe!

lhac
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

That did it in fact! 

I have now been running in Version 51.4.66 for several hours.

Let's see if a laterupdate will solve the problems with OS 10.6...

Thanks!

mvl
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Same issue here on 10.11.6 (El Capitan).

Noticed it on June 20, 2018

Day 5 of no Dropbox.

Dropbox had worked just fine till last Thursday.

I cannot open the Dropbox desktop app anymore. The Dropbox icon has disappeared from the menu bar.

It is still possible to start the app as long as I am not connected to the internet. The second I establish a connection to the internet the app crashes. 

Need more support?