cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive Design Flaws in Dropbox for Business - ALL personal accounts hijacked

Massive Design Flaws in Dropbox for Business - ALL personal accounts hijacked

Helpful | Level 6

A business colleague invited me to his Dropbox for Business folder, intending to share the folder as you would normally with Dropbox.  I mistakenly accepted the invitation and his Dropbox hijacked BOTH of my 5-year old personal dropbox accounts.  It happened immediately and completely without warning and with no "back" button.  It also can't be undone.  Not by me.  Not by the D4B administrator.  Not by Dropbox.  It happened on my free accounts and it also happened to my associate and her Pro account as well.

This is a crazy stupid design flaw.  Joining a D4B should NOT hijack a personal account like a PacMan.  I had to become the D4B adminstrator just so I could get a code to contact the Zendesk (which is so frustrating and useless, it's anything but zen).  

Apparently there is no way to disconnect the linkages in the accounts.  (design flaw #1)  In order to leave the D4B account, they actually require my 5-year old personal accounts be deleted and recovered instead of just disconnected.  (design flaws #2 and #3) They need 5 days minimum to recover my information (design flaw #4) - during which time my account is inaccessible (design flaw #5).  All my storage capacity reverts to original levels (design flaw #6).  There is no Tier 2 help desk to escalate the ticket to get real time help (design flaw #7).  There is no supervisor to talk to (design flaw #8 )- just a Tier 1 with a rote script (design flaw #9).  Even the ticket hotlink doesn't work (design flaw #10).  

TOTAL FAIL Dropbox.  I'm so frustrated and feeling abandoned that I'm looking at alternative file share programs now- after proselytizing Dropbox merits for 5 years!  

If anyone has suggestions for correcting these issues that isn't discussed above please share.  If anyone has alternative filesharing solutions, I'm actively looking for alternatives because Dropbox is no longer beyondcool. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Massive Design Flaws in Dropbox for Business - ALL personal accounts hijacked

Dropboxer

Thanks for your swift reply, much appreciated! 

I replied via email as well to say that I signed up my team as paying customers for
Dropbox for Business. 

Did you write in to support regarding this matter? In case you did, please reply here with a ticket ID, so that I make sure that this is assigned to a colleague and they take care of your request. 

I destroyed the personal account of one of my team members

If you’ve invited a colleague to your Business team with his personal account, then his account becomes incorporated by the team as soon as he accepts the invite, as shown in the pic below: 

If this was a mistake though, and you’d like to reverse it, we can help you over, reverting his/ her account back to a personal one on our end. Please raise a ticket with our team with your admin email address (you can also call in or chat in to our team through the admin console during our Business hours of course, if you’d like to expedite resolution) and let me know a ticket ID in your reply here, so that I look it up internally.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation, please let me know if you need more details about any of the above! 

Warm regards, 
JaneA

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here.]

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Re: Massive Design Flaws in Dropbox for Business - ALL personal accounts hijacked

Dropboxer

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to submit this feedback.

For future reference, if you're being prompted to join a Dropbox Business or Enterprise team, you will have two options :

migrate accountIf you select the first option, the team admin will have access to all of the files in your existing Dropbox. Nothing will change in the account itself, and nothing will change in the files or folders. Migrating an existing account to a Dropbox Business team will give the team admin immediate control over—and insight into—your account. This is the reason, since you agree to this, that you are unable to unlink it from the team. You can read more here.

Once again, we appreciate your overall feedback and we are passing it on to the team.

Thank you!

Zed
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Zed,

Thanks for your speedy response. I'm happy to see that you agree with the facts of my summary.  

Without commenting on the clarity of the instructions in your reply (FAIL #11 and #12 are described below), I think we can all agree that effective communication is not whether you've said something, it's whether the audience understands what you've said and can take the right action.  So let me help with your message and instructions.  Your options should read something like this:

Option 1:  Join Pepco with my current account email.

If you join this Pepco Business Dropbox account with your current email, ALL of your existing dropbox information will be PERMANENTLY MERGED with Pepco's Dropbox.  Pepco will get administrative control of your existing Dropbox information.  

If the person selects this - prompt with another question that says:  

Are you sure you want to merge your existing account?  If the Pepco admistrator deletes you from the Pepco account, all of your merged Dropbox accounts will be deleted.  In order to get your existing personal accounts back under your control, PEPCO will have to contact Dropbox to have your account restored on your behalf.  Choose this option if you want your business Dropbox and your personal Dropbox to merge permanently.

Option 2: Join Pepco with your Pepco business email.

If you join this account using your Pepco business email, your existing accounts will remain separate and distinct. You can view multiple accounts in one dropbox by (insert instructions or link). If the Pepco administrator deletes you from the Pepco account, your Pepco information will be deleted BUT your existing accounts will remain intact.  Use this option if you want your business Dropbox to remain separate from your personal Dropbox.  

There is no need for a second prompt here because the default process should be to keep accounts separate.  

Regarding the specific content of your instructions (see your graphic above): 

FAIL #11 is your instructions explicitly say that Pepco will maintain control over your WORK DROPBOX.  Seriously?  This is dead wrong. They maintain control of your WORK AND PERSONAL dropboxes.

FAIL #12 is your instructions require the user to CHANGE THEIR EMAIL on their PERSONAL account if they want their accounts SEPARATE. Seriously? Changing your personal email implies that you are MERGING accounts.  Why should you have to change your personal account at all?   Your instructions say the exact opposite of what they should say.

FAIL #13 is your failure to actually SEE AND ACKNOWLEDGE THE PROBLEM, after this community has posted many issues with this.

New member | Level 2

I am having the same issue described in this e-mail but with the account of my boss. I set up a Dropbox Bussiness trial and invited my boss to join and his personal account fused with the bussiness account. I deleted his account from the team and he called me histerical because he no longer had access to all his folders. I restore him and he gained immediate acces to his files but his account is still fused to the Bussiness account. 

The help has not been great and immediate and his main complain is that he was not properly advised when promped with the options. I completely agree wiht the suggested changes in the posted response. 

Helpful | Level 6

Joseagosto1,

Frustrating, right?  ...and a total freakout when your documents disappear.  Guess it's good to be reminded how vulnerable we are to corporate stupidity.

We have not found any way to fix this without deleting the entire account.  Dropbox has been totally useless in fixing the design flaw and also useless in providing help beyond a delete/recovery plan.  We had to create a separate dropbox account to move all the files to.  Good luck.

beyondcool

New member | Level 2

I agree that we need to get this up on DropBox' radar, as it is a silly design flaw that may drive away hordes of users. Especially if someone influential decides to do a clean writeup of the issues you list. A pity since I think on other aspects DropBox is doing very well (reliability, history, ease of sharing etc.)

So the current workaround for such a situation is the following?

1. undelete user account on Business team

2. create a new personal account for the user

3. transfer all personal files to the new personal account

4. delete & close the original user account from Business team

What happens to the original user account. Can the user now create a new dropbox account using the original email?

Helpful | Level 6

Hi,

Yes that is correct.

After you have your information backed up on a secondary account, you can then have the Business account admin call the help desk and recover your personal account.  Unfortunately, you have no control over whether your original information can be recovered.  It will be up to the business account admin and Dropbox.  The Business account admin has total control over your personal information....both to copy it and to decide whether to give you back access.

And unfortunately, Dropbox has been totally disinterested in fixing this.

Good luck,

Leslie

Dropboxer

Hello @wilco_b & @Beyondcool,

Apologies for the delayed follow up on this post. I understand the frustration this process may cause (or had caused you) but since a member agrees to join their team using their personal account, this account and its content becomes part of the Business team and owned by it hence the process. The Business admin has total control over the account and files and their the ones that decide what happens.

Everything written by you here is passed on to our team and I appreciate taking the time to describe as well as provide alternatives on how you'd want the process to work, thank you for this.

I'll be around for further clarifications if you need me!

Thanks!

Zed
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 5

What is worse is that if you had a pro account that just gets truncated.  As was explained to me, there will eventually be a refund for the unused part.  Then I guess I would need to recommit to another year, as I don’t believe it can be reinstated. 

This really is without a doubt the worst explanation of a major change I have ever seen.   I joined a team a year ago, and was converted to business.  It sucked in my account compromised my privacy, and messed up my folder structure so badly, and cost me 12 hours of time, and others in my team.  The inability to get phone support unless you are a business admin is not right.  For pro users that pay for the service a 3 day turn around on email support or trying your luck at the community is your only option, this isn’t open source I am paying for this. This has caused dropbox to lose my company of about 75 people as a customer.  As a company we have used this product in different capacities for 2 years, it took 12 hours for us to decide to leave.

The disregard for the way data in handle is something that is making me reconsider I want to continue to use the product on a personal level (that is when they refund me for my pro account that was forcefully assimilated into my corporate account).  

The problem comes down to greed I think.  I mean when I change my password get prompted to enter it twice... so I don’t lose control of my data by locking myself out.  However, it is fine to merge my entire account into a company with the only notice being a year old popup window with bad wording?  I know the goal is to get business customers, but this is not how you do it.   I think this needs to be passed on to marketing, not engineering. 

Dropbox you should know that the people that are using this are fast growing nimble companies.  In most cases it takes one person getting pissed at the way something happens to start rapidly looking for a better solution.  

New member | Level 2
I just signed my startup up for Dropbox for Business based on years of goodwill that Dropbox had accumulated by providing me with 10 GB of free account. IMMEDIATELY I learn, too late, that they have just taken over my personal account and that my only recourse will drop my personal account down to 2 GB. This is totally unacceptable. I've gone instantly from a supporter of Dropbox to an active, vocal, negative user. And I'm emailing my classmate, Drew!
Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?