cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate business account to company business advanced

Migrate business account to company business advanced

Collaborator | Level 8

My company has elected to upgrade to Dropbox Business Advanced upon our renewal date. My understanding is that on day one of the upgrade a new "Team Member Folder" named "(Member's Name)" will be created in the account of each of our users, and that all folders currently at the top level of each user's account (except for current Team Folders) will become SUB folders within the Team Member Folder. This would seem to require the same reorganization (i.e. creation of a new top-level folder and moving current top-level folders under this new folder) on each user's local computer running Dropbox. Does anyone know how this is accomplished? For instance, does this create a massive sync process in which all non-team folders are moved to the new Team Member Folder? This could take hours or days. Are the current selective sync and smart sync settings observed in this process? I'm getting concerned that we don't know enough to be well prepared for the impact the upgrade might have on our business operations, so any help or experience would be much appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Migrate business account to company business advanced

Dropboxer
Hi Jim, it depends if you are going to be on the new Dropbox Business structure, which does have the private folder for team members separate from the shared team folders.

That folder would appear as a purple folder in the team account, and you can read up more about this here.

If you’re not on this new file structure, then you’ll have the old one whereby a team folder is created automatically, and you can create more team folders online. 

Anything that’s considered a private folder for the individual team member will remain where it is, since there isn’t a purple member-only folder.

So, if you have the new file structure, there will be some time to let the syncing finish for all users, but for the old structure, since little has changed, there won’t be much syncing.

Let me know if this clarifies matters for you!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Dropboxer
Hi Jim, it depends if you are going to be on the new Dropbox Business structure, which does have the private folder for team members separate from the shared team folders.

That folder would appear as a purple folder in the team account, and you can read up more about this here.

If you’re not on this new file structure, then you’ll have the old one whereby a team folder is created automatically, and you can create more team folders online. 

Anything that’s considered a private folder for the individual team member will remain where it is, since there isn’t a purple member-only folder.

So, if you have the new file structure, there will be some time to let the syncing finish for all users, but for the old structure, since little has changed, there won’t be much syncing.

Let me know if this clarifies matters for you!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Collaborator | Level 8

Thanks Jay,

Since I had been assured we would be seeing the new Team Space, I'm just wondering how this will roll out. So far today (the day of our renewal/upgrade to Business Advanced) our Dropbox looks like it always has: no purple folder, no ability to limit access to Team Folder sub-folders, etc. I've just sent a note to Dropbox Support for a status clarification.

Dropboxer

They should be able to assist further in relation to this matter, since they have more tools available to them in order to troubleshoot.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?