cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Moving the Dropbox Folder

Helpful | Level 5

I moved one of my users Dropbox folders.  It was around 4TB.  I used the move unde the synch setting son the DB icon.  It ran and all seems fine but I hav some questions.

1. there are some files and folders still in the old location.  The same files are in the new location so it is like they were copied over, but for some reason these select files did not get deleted from the old location.  Is that anything to be concerned with.

2. Under Events on the web broweser, it does not show any changes in files.  However, when I right click on the icon on the task bar, it shows a bunch of files that were edited or added.  Some show edited and others added.  Is this just a false report on the dropbox icon.  these were alway in by DB folder and were not edited and as noted above, online under events it does not show any changes.

I just want to make sure i did not mess anything up by moving the folder.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Moving the Dropbox Folder

Super User II
Super User II

Hey @Mike R. 

1) you should be OK to delete/remove them - or a reboot of Dropbox/computer may sort it. Just do one or two and see what happens first to make sure no symlinks etc. have been set up

2) It sounds like the client is just showing the last changes that happened with the move so as long as you are happy the files are OK you've nothing to worry about. 

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Hey @Mike R. 

1) you should be OK to delete/remove them - or a reboot of Dropbox/computer may sort it. Just do one or two and see what happens first to make sure no symlinks etc. have been set up

2) It sounds like the client is just showing the last changes that happened with the move so as long as you are happy the files are OK you've nothing to worry about. 

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I never set up symlinks (not sure what that is) so I should not ahve any.

I rebooted and those files are still on the old drive, but pretty sure they were properly copied.

I am assuming that since online under events, it shows no edits, deletions, etc..., nothing change on the server so I should be good.  

Wonder if next time I should disconnect and resynch.  I thought the move would be better.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?