Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

My Excel file gives me an error. File is currently in use. Try again later.

Helpful | Level 6

When I try to make changes to an excel file in Drop Box Folder, I am getting an error message: File is currently in use. Try again later.

I am forced to save it in my local system and copy and paste it in Drop Box Folder. I have been facing this problem only since this morning

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: File is currently in use. Try again later

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Fiona

Sorry for the long delay in replying. After Dropbox updated the version to 88.4.172 the issue got resolved automatically.

Thanks for your support

Regards

S Visakan

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @Visakan. Sorry to hear about this. 

I would say Happy Monday, but who can work happily without saving his Excel files directly?  I will help you solve this!

I see you posted this topic in the Teams and Admins section of our Community. If you are indeed in a team, can you please confirm with the rest of your team members there can edit their Excel files? I would like to know if this is an issue with the team, or the device you are using. 

Can you edit and save your editions via Dropbox.com? Please try and let me know. 

Finally, if this issue is only on your desktop and you can edit the Excel file online, I will need the following: 

1. The version of the Dropbox desktop application you have installed. 
  2. A screenshot of the error message you are getting. 

Hope I can help you overcome this difficulty, very very soon! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Fiona

The rest of my team members are also unable to edit the excel files. We all are able to edit and save any excel file outside the drop box in our local harddisk but not any file in drop box.  

I have enclosed the screenshot of the error message for your persusal. Sometimes, after a few attempts it gets saved. This problem is not only confined to MS Excel files but also MS Word files and PDF FilesScreenshot 2019-12-12 09.58.50.png

Highlighted

Super Collaborator | Level 20
You are trying save to local network share, not to local Dropbox folder, so check the MS Office ability to save on your server first (and what's wrong there). 😉
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Yeap, Здравко must be right.  From your screenshot I see the Dropbox app is not running. You don't have the Dropbox icon on your menu bar. 

Usually, when desktop errors occur, we suggest to try quiting the Dropbox app, to see if the error persists when Dropbox is not working. 

But now, Dropbox is not there. So, we can't test that. Download the latest version to update Dropbox and get the icon on your menu bar.  

Let us know how this goes @Visakan

Fiona

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hi

Thanks  Здравко & Fiona for your quick response.

First, I have been saving the files all these days only in  local Dropbox folder which is evident from the screenshot shared which is \\DELL-PC\Users\Dell\Dropbox\VISAKAN 

Secondly, the drop box icon was hidden in the task bar when I took the screenshot. That is why you were unable to see it. No I have made it visible as you can see from the screenshot now enclosed. You can see for yourself the version which I am using now viz., 86.4.146

Thirdly, I had not facedthis problem before. Only for the past few days it has cropped up. Please advise suitably

Screenshot 2019-12-12 16.01.09.png

Highlighted

@Visakan wrote:

First, I have been saving the files all these days only in  local Dropbox folder which is evident from the screenshot shared which is \\DELL-PC\Users\Dell\Dropbox\VISAKAN 

Hi @Visakan,

"evident" 🤔😂 Please, be more careful when you provide evidences. Ok, client and server could coincide, but what is Windows path??? 🤔 Probably, have to start with some drive letter, like C: or similar. How starts a network share??? 🤔 Probably double backslash. What is the path you just cited above? 😉

Try using normal path.

PS: It's never good idea share your root "Users" dir!!! Could be a security issue.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Здравко

It is in C: drive

Highlighted

Ok, and... What's the result when you use normal path (for Windows), not a share?

Joke: Using such "evidence", if you were prosecutor, any accused can spare from lawyer.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Visakan. Thanks for the additional information. 

Lets test something. Please quit Dropbox and try to save the file again. 

Are you getting the same error? 

Let us know!

Fiona

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?