cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My desktop drive's space is full. Any ideas why?

My desktop drive's space is full. Any ideas why?

New member | Level 2

Hi,

All my file in dropbox taking up my storage space in Desktop, if i set up all of my file to cloud does still take memory space? and also to set it to cloud tru online?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Desktop Memory Full

Dropboxer
Hey @Paolo03, welcome to our community! 

If you use Selective Sync or Smart Sync, and choose to have your files online only, they will not take space on your computer’s hard drive! 

With Selective Sync you can choose which of your folders you want to sync to your computer. All your content will always be available online at dropbox.com. More details here http://bit.ly/2oQbj34

With Smart Sync, you can have content online, but still visible on your computer, without taking up space on your hard drive. When you click on a file to edit it, it is synced at that time. Here’s more info http://bit.ly/2xQ5Idr

Selective Sync is available to all account types, and Smart Sync is available to Professional and Business plan accounts. 

I hope this helps! 
Cheers

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Re: Desktop Memory Full

Dropboxer
Hey @Paolo03, welcome to our community! 

If you use Selective Sync or Smart Sync, and choose to have your files online only, they will not take space on your computer’s hard drive! 

With Selective Sync you can choose which of your folders you want to sync to your computer. All your content will always be available online at dropbox.com. More details here http://bit.ly/2oQbj34

With Smart Sync, you can have content online, but still visible on your computer, without taking up space on your hard drive. When you click on a file to edit it, it is synced at that time. Here’s more info http://bit.ly/2xQ5Idr

Selective Sync is available to all account types, and Smart Sync is available to Professional and Business plan accounts. 

I hope this helps! 
Cheers

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Re: My desktop drive's space is full. Any ideas why?

New member | Level 2

I am using smart sync option, in macOS 10.15.6, but I see that it is still reserving the memory on my disk, but the icon shows that it is online-only

Re: My desktop drive's space is full. Any ideas why?

Dropboxer

HI @Edwinps; thanks for joining the discussion here.

I'm not sure if this will do the trick for you, but can you try turning on the Smart Sync update for Mac as suggested in this thread

Keep me posted! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?