cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password protect folders

Password protect folders

New member | Level 2

With GDPR looming, how do I protect customers' data in a folder, from being seen by colleagues? Can I password protect the folder?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Password protect folders

Dropboxer

Hello there @ElenaM - just checking in with you!  

As Sanchez has already outlined, it's not possible to password protect any of the folders in your Dropbox account because Dropbox is not a network drive and our software has no control over access to the folder(s). The Dropbox folder is just a normal folder and is no more or less secure than every other folder on your computer so I would recommend that you follow good security practices to protect your entire computer. A good idea is to require a password to log in to your account, and to resume from sleep, screen savers and lock screens. 

For more information on GDPR and our renewed Terms of Service you can browse this page

I hope this information helps and if you have any more questions, let us know and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Dropboxer
Hey @ElenaM, welcome to our forum! 

I’m afraid that password-protecting a folder isn’t currently an option. Can you give me an example scenario that you anticipate having to face, or are currently facing? 

Thanks

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Dropboxer

Hello there @ElenaM - just checking in with you!  

As Sanchez has already outlined, it's not possible to password protect any of the folders in your Dropbox account because Dropbox is not a network drive and our software has no control over access to the folder(s). The Dropbox folder is just a normal folder and is no more or less secure than every other folder on your computer so I would recommend that you follow good security practices to protect your entire computer. A good idea is to require a password to log in to your account, and to resume from sleep, screen savers and lock screens. 

For more information on GDPR and our renewed Terms of Service you can browse this page

I hope this information helps and if you have any more questions, let us know and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Explorer | Level 4

If I cannot set a password for a FOLDER, can I set a password for specific FILES?

Dropboxer
Hey @Forbidden1, just to re-iterate Sanchez & Walter’s comments above, in case you’re inquiring whether this is possible for individual files synced with Dropbox on your device, it would be worth mentioning that this pertains to the security measures you implement on your pc/ Mac. However, a quick web search yields some results that may be useful to you in the event that this functionality is a fundamental part of your workflow. 

From there, (depending on your plan) please note that Dropbox allows to modify permissions for shared links (i.e. you can add a password, set an expiration date & disable downloads), that would be helpful in case you’d like to restrict access to sensitive shared content. 

Let me know of how our advice works for you & I’ll follow-up with you a bit more closely on this discussion. Thanks for reaching out to us on our Community & enjoy your day until we talk again! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?