cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Pdf viewer in web browser

Pdf viewer in web browser

jaidgossamer
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hi: I used to be able to view pdf files in Chrome's native pdf viewer.  Suddenly, I am no longer able to view files through Chrome's viewer, but only through what looks to be some new dropbox proprietary viewer.  I'd like to be able to go back to the Chrome viewer, as the dropbox viewer has cut pdf functionality significantly.  

How can I go back to viewing my pdf files on Chrome's native pdf viewer?  Thank you.  

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

jaidgossamer
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hi all:

I finally found a solution that might not be ideal for everyone, but actually solves the problems listed above . . . I've been having issues using the Dropbox viewer to view my pdfs, have not been able to view any larger pdfs, and one other poster mentioned that he was having some difficulty sharing his pdfs with others.  

I've been asking for a fix that would allow us to completely bypass the Dropbox viewer so that we can view our pdfs in Chrome's native viewer.  Some of the techs were lovely and brilliant enough to come up with the fix that involves "printing" the pdf (and then canceling out of the print dialog box), which allows you to then see the pdf in Chrome viewer.  Unfortunately, though, this did not solve the issue of not being able to open larger pdfs - if the pdf couldn't be open in Dropbox viewer, then trying to "print" the pdf does not work, and you also will not be able to view the pdf in Chrome.

The one solution that I have been using that satisfies all the above issues is to abandon Dropbox and use Google Drive to store and share my pdfs.  I've been able to open and view ALL pdfs in Google Drive (even 6,000 page legal tomes!!!) without any issue, and GD also allows us to connect all sorts of third party apps so that we can view our pdfs in the third-party viewer of our choosing.  I've also had a much easier time sharing these pdfs with my colleagues on GD . . . Dropbox sharing was easy so long as the receiving party also had a Dropbox account.  

This has really been a god-send as I work with people all over the country, and these people often access these work documents via Mac OS, Windows, iOS, and Android platforms . . . Google Drive has allowed us the straight-forward ability to download items directly onto the desktop/Google Drive app without having to hunt for the proper methodology for doing so.  

So, while I absolutely love Dropbox, I really don't want to have to add several extra key strokes to get things done, or spend time figuring out how to do the simplest things, or have massive changes made to a system that not only wasn't broken in the first place, but also wasn't wanted, warranted, or needed, while ultimately taking away functionality.  I work 12 to 15 hours a day, 7 days a week, and I can't afford to have my workflow disrupted so severely every other month when some random new change is rolled out.

So, those looking for maximum functionality when using, storing, and sharing pdfs should consider doing so via Google Drive. 

View solution in original post

Roger F.8
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am customer for years, could you guys please just give us the ability to open pdf with the native chrome viewer? Dropbox PDF viewer is much worst and limited, while you guys don't have a PDF viewer as good as chrome, for example, dont obligate your paying customers to use this. It is like we are paying Dropbox to make the service worst everyday, dont "fix" what wasn't broken to begin with.

View solution in original post

34 Replies 34

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey jaidgossamer

Thank you for getting in touch with us on our Community support channel!

Please note that, because of the Dropbox and Adobe integration, disabling file preview on the Dropbox website is not available, though, if you would like to view the files in their original quality, you can always download them to your device. 

Hope this helps you clarify!

Kind regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

jaidgossamer
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Thanks for your reply, however to clarify - I was able to view my pdfs in native Chrome pdf browser yesterday.  Today the functionality has changed.  I would like to return to former functionality.  Thanks, 

Delirion
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi JaneA

until 15 of March we were able to force to open pdfs straight in the browser by adding raw=1 to our shared links. 

We have been using this feature heavily and now have to got back and fix all the links as DB broke them without any heads up or explanation what so ever. 

Your response is in so far not helping as it only states what we already experience with no further background on what happend. 

Its a reoccuring feeling dropbox makes changes on their end but missses to provide any information at all.

As a long time Pro and Dropbox Busines, or Team (or whatever its going to be called in the next few weeks) User I'm wondering which feature might go away in the future without any warning.

Looking forward to a more in depth explanation why the adobe integration into dropbox makes the handling of pdfs worse then before. 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey Delirion

Thank you for letting me know here!

Please note that if you are a Dropbox Plus/ Dropbox for Business team, beginning September 1, 2017, you will no longer be able to render HTML content.  

I appreciate your frustration, please let me go through a couple troubleshooting steps with you. Can you please attempt rendering those pdf files on an incognito window and let me know whether this helps here, so that I follow-up on this case? 

Thank you in advance for your cooperation!

Kind regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

jaidgossamer
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

This problem was eventually solved by members of the dropbox support team.  They emailed me a "hack" that allowed me to force open pdf documents in chrome's pdf viewer by pressing Shift+Ctrl+[file].  

Oddly enough, full functionality returned to my dropbox account on Mar 22, which now allows me to open pdf documents in chrome's pdf viewer by pressingly only Ctrl+[file].  

Since it was a little confusing, I'll re-describe the original problem . . . Prior to March 15, 2017, I was able to open pdf files in chrome's pdf viewer, as well as open documents by pressing Ctrl+[file].  (This was when I accessed my dropbox account through the chrome browser).  Suddenly, I lost that functionality, was only able to open files one by one, and only in dropbox's proprietary viewer.  This limited functionality of my dropbox account, since I could no longer open several files at once (without great effort).  Additionally, the dropbox viewer DOES NOT open pdf files larger than 50mb (I've been able to open pdf files up to 200 mb in chrome's viewer without issue).  Now, somehow, my dropbox functionality has fully returned. 

So, if you are having the same problems I was - please try the Shift+Ctrl method of forcing open pdf files in chrome's viewer.  

Thank you once again to the dropbox support team for all of their help in this matter!

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using our Dropbox Community? You can access the survey here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT

Thank you!

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

SubAtomia
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dear Ed,

The issue is not how well we like the Community. The root cause of the problem is Dropbox operates differently on Chrome than it does on Safari. Essentially we have a loss of functionality with Chrome. And the question is what is Dropbox going to do about it? Or should we be prepared to lose functionality with Safari as well?

Michael R.54
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

What about if my students are accessing it from a public link remotely?   How can they get it to force open on chrome?  Any ideas?  I am a teacher and I am sharing a PDF file that I make for their assignments.  The file always has worked fine and opened.  Now the hyperlinks on my PDF are not working with Dropbox's new priortity view.  

For example, here my file: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5p5be1tezxcyxm/avtf1%20assignment%20calendar%202017%2018.pdf?dl=0

My students access it by typing in a tinyurl....

tinyurl.com/321action

How can I get it to force open on Google without Dropbox view when they are accessing it remotly through a public link? ?  Can you ask you dropbox tech guy that helped you for me please???  I cannot seem to get anybody to help me when I send in a support ticket.

Thank you and I will be forever grateful!! 

Michael 

jaidgossamer
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I am seconding this . . . previously, I was able to preview pdf files in Chrome's native pdf viewer by clicking Shift + Ctrl + File.  Now, the functionality has been removed.  What happened?  

The pdf viewer provided by Dropbox is NOT a welcome replacement, it is not as fast and efficient as the Chrome native viewer, and it is difficult to share with others.  Please fix or find a way to allow users to switch back and forth between dropbox viewer and the native viewer!

Need more support?