cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Pdf viewer in web browser

Pdf viewer in web browser

jaidgossamer
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hi: I used to be able to view pdf files in Chrome's native pdf viewer.  Suddenly, I am no longer able to view files through Chrome's viewer, but only through what looks to be some new dropbox proprietary viewer.  I'd like to be able to go back to the Chrome viewer, as the dropbox viewer has cut pdf functionality significantly.  

How can I go back to viewing my pdf files on Chrome's native pdf viewer?  Thank you.  

34 Replies 34

jaidgossamer
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Dropbox viewer is UNBELIEVABLY annoying as it cannot open any file larger than 200 MB . . . it has essentially taken away users' ability to fully access their files online.  This is completely unacceptable, as I have 2 TB of pdf documentation, over 80% of which can now NOT be viewed.  

jaidgossamer
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I am posting this again because the forum does not seem to have a function that allows us to change status of the answer from "solved" to "unsolved."  

Previously, I was unable to view pdf files in Chrome's native pdf viewer.  Suddenly I could only access pdf files through Dropbox's viewer.  The problem is, the Dropbox viewer is SEVERELY limited in what it can do - and often times cannot even open the pdf file at all.  After discussing with tech support, the issue was resolved and we were given a fix that allowed us to "force" the pdf file open in Chrome's native pdf viewer. 

Now, the fix has been removed.  We are back again to only being able to see pdf files in the Dropbox viewer.  Now, I cannot access many of my pdf files.  This is really unacceptable, as there didn't seem to be ANY problems with Chrome viewer, no one seemed to be complaining, and yet a change was made that severely limits the service.  Some help getting functionality back to our dropbox accounts would be much appreciated, thank you.  

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
So, previously, you we unable or able to view PDFs in Chrome? Did, does it work in other browsers? 

Was it our support team that provided the fix for this, and do you know what the fix was? 

How are you opening these PDFs? Directly from your files list in your online account, or by following links to the PDF files? 

Any additional details you can provide, will be helpful in troubleshooting this with you. 
Thanks, and have a great weekend :sunglasses:

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

jaidgossamer
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hi:

Thanks for your reply . . . 

Previously, I was able to open pdf files (all of them) by selecting the file and pressing Ctrl + [file].  I was able to view pdfs in Chrome's native pdf viewer.  The problem arose when I could suddenly ONLY open the pdf files in the dropbox pdf viewer.  The dropbox pdf viewer is unwanted in this instance - because a great deal of pdf functionality is LOST (including being able to open larger pdf files and the loss of the ability to easily share the files).  

I lost functionality when suddenly I was not able to do that any longer.  After discussing with tech support for over 72 hours, they supplied me with a fix that allowed for opening pdf files in the native Chrome pdf viewer by pressing Shift + Ctrl + [file].  

Now, a few months later, apparently, the fix no longer works.  

I would like to be able to view pdfs in the Chrome native pdf viewer, NOT the dropbox viewer.

The original thread can be found here:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Sharing-and-collaboration/Pdf-viewer-in-web-browser/m-p/237488#M1632...

Thank you, 

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for detailing the issue. I’m sorry that I don’t have an answer for you, and all I can do here is to send this over to our web guys so they’re aware. 
Cheers

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

jaidgossamer
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

No worries, Sanchez, THANK YOU for forwarding the information . . . at this point in time I couldn't figure out how to contact Dropbox tech support, so I sincerely appreciate your doing so . . . Fingers crossed as to a solution!

Thank you again, 

apraetor
Super User alumni
Go to solution

What happens if you use the "Open" option on the PDFs instead? That should cause them to open with your computer's registered PDF handler, instead of Dropbox's viewer.

By going to Settings (on Windows 10) and setting my default PDF viewer for Windows to Chrome, and then using "Open" on dropbox.com, I was able to get my PDF files to open natively in Chrome. If you tell me your OS I can give you specific instructions. My original default PDF handler was Adobe DC, and it opened them fine, too. But I tested Chrome to confirm for you that it's possible to use it as you wish.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @apraetor

Thanks for posting your suggestion. I can confirm that it works on Windows 10! Not the ideal solution for all our friends here, but a nice work-around indeed :wink:

Cheers

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

jaidgossamer
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Unfortunately, doesn't work on Mac OS X.  Selecting "Open" merely opens it in Adobe Acrobat.  

apraetor
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Actually, it DOES work on OS X, but you need to change the PDF handler from Adobe to Google Chrome. Follow these instructions. Or, do this (same thing):

1. Find a PDF file in Finder
  2. Right-click (control+click) the PDF
  3. Select "Get Info"
  4. Under the "Opens With" section select "Google Chrome"
  5. Click "Change All..."
  6. Enjoy!
Need more support?