cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to avoid moving folders by accidente

Preventing folders from being moved

brittany5654
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello fellow Dropbox users..

I am the team admin on a business account. We have implemented a folder structure across our team. Includes folders and sub-folders. We would now like to "lock" our new folder struture, while still allowing team members to accessall folders and sub-folders. We need team members to be able to upload, download, edit and save files within the folders and sub-folders. Is this possible?

Our main goal is to prevent team members from accidiently moving or dragging folders or sub-folders into the wrong place.

Do any fellow team admins have any tips for business accounts?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @brittany5654

At first, if you’d like users to be able to access/view content of a shared/team folder, you can set it so that they have view-only permissions. 

However, since you mention that you want them to continue to be able to download, upload and apply changes to its contents, the members need to have edit rights. 

Nonetheless, I understand how important this is for you and I’d be more than happy to pass your comments along to the dev team regarding this. 

Let me know if you have any other questions! :grin:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @brittany5654

At first, if you’d like users to be able to access/view content of a shared/team folder, you can set it so that they have view-only permissions. 

However, since you mention that you want them to continue to be able to download, upload and apply changes to its contents, the members need to have edit rights. 

Nonetheless, I understand how important this is for you and I’d be more than happy to pass your comments along to the dev team regarding this. 

Let me know if you have any other questions! :grin:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mattstagg
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am currently watching several hundred GB of files being moved because a member made the mistake of moving a folder into a new folder. 

Locking the structure is essential when working with a large team

goldencat
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Is there a way to do this yet, it is such a simple and vital feature that many are having issues with. 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @goldencat, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

I understand that you're referring to folders not being moved, but you can also check out our file locking feature, which prevents a file from being edited. 

In any case, if you have any other questions or feedback for us, don't hesitate to give us a shout. Thanks! 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

stenzer
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dear Dropbox users:

Hello.

I am glad using Dropbox.

It is a great tool, too easy to use.

It is common to move folders by accident.

Later, it is difficult to restore the original folder structure.

Question: Is there a way not to allow folders to be moved?

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @stenzer, thanks for posting today! 

I've merged your question into the current thread, since it matches the worries others have expressed. 

Feel free to take a look, and let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?