cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with setting up Personal and Business/Team accounts

Problems with setting up Personal and Business/Team accounts

AdieUK
New member | Level 2

I have a personal Dropbox and am trying to link it with my new job email address (I had a Team invite and accepted). But then it's asking to make a decision re transferring the files or keeping them separate. ALL my personal files are on my Personal Dropbox login and I don't want to transfer it to a shared place, so I clicked 'keep separate' but that is asking me to sign in with a new email address and it will transfer all the files to THAT.

I just want my personal one to remain as is (which I have synced to my Finder etc. - I'm currently working on Desktop/Mac) but be able to access the work stuff (even if only on a browser)

I've looked for answers online, but I can't seem to get past this bit...

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

9 Replies 9

Re: Problems with setting up Personal and Business/Team accounts

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @AdieUK, thanks for reaching out to our Community!

The best way to go about this is to tell the admin of the Business team cancel the invite that was sent to your personal account (which is using your work email, if I understood correctly).

Then, you'll need to change your personal account's email address to a personal address.

And lastly, create a new, empty Dropbox account using your work email and have the admin of the team invite that email again, so you can join the team.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

AdieUK1
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

Well this is odd. I couldn't sign back in as me (AdieUK) so had to start again as AdieUK1 😳

Thanks for your reply, @Hannah. The team invite was to my work email address (the same that I am using on here), yes. After that I am confused.

You then say I need to CHANGE my work email address to a personal address? Huh? So sorry - but this isn't computing in my brain.

And why do I need to create an EMPTY Dropbox account?

Here it is, worded another way:

1. I want to be able to access my own PERSONAL Dropbox account (via my Mac Finder and via a browser if necessary) whilst also accessing the files on the company account - in whatever way works. But I was hoping to do so without having to keep singing in and out of accounts.
  2. And I then wanted to ensure however I link/join/merge or whatever to do this dual access, it doesn't then access my work colleagues to all my personal files.

Does that make sense? Apologies if I'm not using the correct terminology (it all seems clear in my head what I want to do though lol).

Hannah
Dropboxer
Sorry for any confusion, let me try and clarify what would be easier for you to do.

If your personal Dropbox is currently using your work address and the invitation was sent to your work address, your company has basically invited your personal account to join the team.

If you don't want your personal account to join the team, you can choose to keep your files separate, as suggested. 

This will indeed prompt you to create a new account for your personal files. You can use a personal email address for that.

Then, once the personal files are transferred to the new account, your personal (now empty) account can join the team, since it's using the work address. 

Of course, you'll be able to pair the two accounts and sync them both on your computer, if you want to. 

I hope I didn't confuse you even more! Let me know if you still have questions!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

AdieUK1
Explorer | Level 3

Hi again,

Thank you for taking the time to explain. You said: "If your personal Dropbox is currently using your work address..." It doesn't. My PERSONAL DB uses my personal email address (my own domain etc)...

TBH it still doesn't quite make sense to me - but maybe what is being described is geared for anyone who hasn't yet got a personal Dropbox account (yet)... I don't know... but anway, thankfully a friend/colleague has gone through it with me and it's now sorted.

How?

I closed all browsers, logged out from all - including from my main Menu Bar at the top of the Mac screen, then I logged in on a browser with my own PERSONAL (my domain) email address to my PERSONAL account - the one that has all my personal files. I then re-accepted an invite to join the COMPANY's Team account - using my WORK email address. I then logged back in via the app on my Mac (ie the menu bar again) SO now I still access my own files via my Mac and Finder - but I can now also access work files via a browser. What made it confusing was the option to TRANSFER or KEEP SEPARATE re files  and creating a NEW personal account (see screenshot below). I opted to TRANSFER (which worried me as you can imagine as I didn't want all my own files to be transferred, but I wasn't logged in yet, so thought it must be ok) but it seemed to work. 

So the only thing I think I would like to do but not sure how yet, is - IF POSS have my COMPANY Dropbox also appear on my FINDER... If not, I'll have to keep accessing it from a browser.

COMPANY VS PERSONAL DROPBOX.png

Rich
Super User II

@AdieUK1 wrote:

So the only thing I think I would like to do but not sure how yet, is - IF POSS have my COMPANY Dropbox also appear on my FINDER... If not, I'll have to keep accessing it from a browser.

You now need to link the two accounts for that to be possible.

AdieUK1
Explorer | Level 3

Ok Cool. Thanks for the link - will have a go! 🤞

AdieUK1
Explorer | Level 3

ALL DONE!! Yay!! Both accounts now joined and sync'd to my computer - each with their own access folder - so now I can see it, I feel a bit more confident now that they are totally separate!

Thanks for your help guys. 😁👍

Hannah
Dropboxer
Perfect, that's great to hear, Adie!

And happy to help! If you ever need anything else, make sure to give us a shout. 

Have a great week ahead!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

AdieUK1
Explorer | Level 3

Cheers you too 😊

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

AdieUK1 Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropboxer
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?