Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quickbooks File opening as "txt" instead of QB

jenlou New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Someone is uploading their Quickbooks file to a shared DB, but when I open it on my end, it opens as a text file! We have tried 2-3 times. I do have QB application open to recognize. (I've done this with others, same way.) 

Help appreciated. 

4 Replies 4

Re: Quickbooks File opening as "txt" instead of QB

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @jenlou, thanks for posting your concern on the Forum and welcome aboard!

This seems like something where I’d recommend getting in touch via email so as to troubleshoot with you. You could either let me know if you’d prefer to be reached out directly via email, or you could go ahead & submit your concern via https://www.dropbox.com/support

Let me know how you’d like to proceed and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks in advance! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Super User II
Super User II
Hi Jenlou,

How are you opening the file?

Have you tried downloading it and then doing as File -> Open within Quickbooks?

Some browsers for example will automatically append file formats on to files if it is not sure what it is - hence getting it opening as a text file.

The other thing to check is that you both have the SAME version of Quickbooks. If the other person is on a newer version than you its possible your version of QB wont be able to open it.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

bestmurf New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I'm looking to do something similar but ran into similar issues. I'm starting a new company and would like to use Dropbox to share my Quickbook file(s) with my book keeper and accountant.   

1) It looks like it's appending the files from quick books with a .ND and .DSN.  Should I just remove these?

2) I think it would be a huge win for Dropbox, if the folder I'm sharing could be used with the Dropbox app on the recievers side.   That way the file are local but synced.  This would be a awesome book keeping solution for companies.  How do we get the developers attention?  I don't think this is alot of work on their end for a huge win. 

3) Is there another means of doing this?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @bestmurf, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

Since .nd and .dns files are basically configuration files, I wouldn't recommend deleting them, as they may be necessary by the application you're using. 

Although we don't recommend syncing live databases with Dropbox, as most of them have remote access methods anyway, you can use Dropbox to share the data, but you need to take great care and understand how file syncing works.

Most programs create a "file lock" on any file that they're using, and this lock will prevent Dropbox from syncing them. In some cases, you must fully quit the app before Dropbox can sync the data and you must then make sure Dropbox has finished syncing before trying to access the file from any computer.

If you are sharing the data between computers you mustn't run the app on more than one computer at a time, since you'll generate file conflicts and other problems, so, the pattern needs to be:

1. Let files sync.
  2. Start application.
  3. Save files.
  4. Quit application.
  5. Repeat on different computers.

I hope this helps!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?