cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Realistic space expectations for Business Advanced

Realistic space expectations for Business Advanced

berk
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi,

A little back story: my family won a diversity green card and we are likely to move to the US within 4 or 5 months. I have been using Dropbox Plus for seveal years and am very satisfied with service (it saved me on several occasions). 

Working as motion graphics designer/videographer, my work so far occupies around 25TB of storage. I would like to keep it all when moving to the US. I am planning to use two separate external RAID drives of 24TB each (2x12TB in RAID0 mode). Both these drives will go into different bags on the airplane. 

As online backup, I also would like to upload all my work to Dropbox Business Advanced account. I am planning to keep using it for as long as Dropbox keeps this service. Is it realistic to expect 25TB of storage (possibly more in the future as I create more footage) in Business Advanced account or am I better of just keeping my files on hard drives?

My subscription expires by the end of March, so I will either extend Dropbox Plus or upgrade to Business Advanced.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Karina
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey again everyone ! @berk :grinning:

Just to add some extra info to the "over 300K files and overall desktop app performance" discussion: 

• It is true that the performance of the Dropbox app starts to decline after reaching about 300,000 files.
    You can read up about this, here, if you'd like: https://www.dropbox.com/help/39

• One way you can speed up your Dropbox is by using Selective Sync, which is a feature that lets you control which files and folders that are being synced with your computer. (Note: your files are safe and accessible on www.dropbox.com). 

• Since you're looking into upgrading to a Business plan, you might prefer Smart Sync over Selective Sync. With Smart Sync, users can see and seamlessly access all the content they have in their Dropbox, right from their desktops, without worrying about local hard drive space. Files and folders take up practically no space on the local device until they’re needed, and they can be accessed with a simple click. 

Also, regarding adding the additional TB's of space, depending upon your quota usage at a certain point in time, our team will be able to grant several TB's of space at a time to keep up with your needs of the space availability. 

Hope this info is useful to you! :penguin:

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here

Karina
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
First off well done on the green card.

Secondly the only thing I can say on space is it is not a $20 per month fee... it is $60 as you are paying for a minimum of three users regardless of you using them or not.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

berk
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks, Mark!

I get the minimum $60/month payment part. What I am asking is whether my expectations for 25TB+ storage area after migrating to Business Advanced account are realistic or will I hit some kind of space capping? 

Karina
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @berk welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out with this question! 

Firstly, congrats from myself, as well, on the green card, and best of luck with this new transition in you and your family's life! 😊

Now, regarding the Advanced Business plan and space usage - It is advertised that this plan gives you as much space as you need. To be more specific, we want Dropbox Business users to have as much space as they need for their teams, and are happy to add space if you get close to your current quota at a certain point in time.

So, for example, if you're using 4-5TB / 5TB, then, our team will gladly go ahead and provide you with some more space to better accomodate you and your needs - all you need to do is get in touch through our official support platform.

( The Advanced plan will give you access to our live support channels: Phone and Chat which are available Monday - Friday during Business working hours )

Hope this helps answer your question and feel free to write back if there's anything else we can help you out with. Have a great day!

Karina
Moderator @ Dropbox

berk
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you Katrina.

It looks like I should have no problem getting 25TB+ of usable space. I'll give it a try and upgrade my Dropbox Plus account to Business Advanced by the end of this month, when it is due for annual renewal. 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
I am not on the plan so dont know how it works, but, I do know that some people have complained you can only get increases in 1TB increments. So, that may be another question to ask Sales.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
There's also a noticeable performance hit on the Dropbox client if you have more than 300,000 files, especially for older computers.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/space/file-storage-limit

berk
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@Rich wrote:
There's also a noticeable performance hit on the Dropbox client if you have more than 300,000 files, especially for older computers.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/space/file-storage-limit

Oh, I was not aware of that limit. The number of files that'd go into my Dropbox space is far greater than 300,000. Thanks for pointing this out, Rich.

Karina
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey again everyone ! @berk :grinning:

Just to add some extra info to the "over 300K files and overall desktop app performance" discussion: 

• It is true that the performance of the Dropbox app starts to decline after reaching about 300,000 files.
    You can read up about this, here, if you'd like: https://www.dropbox.com/help/39

• One way you can speed up your Dropbox is by using Selective Sync, which is a feature that lets you control which files and folders that are being synced with your computer. (Note: your files are safe and accessible on www.dropbox.com). 

• Since you're looking into upgrading to a Business plan, you might prefer Smart Sync over Selective Sync. With Smart Sync, users can see and seamlessly access all the content they have in their Dropbox, right from their desktops, without worrying about local hard drive space. Files and folders take up practically no space on the local device until they’re needed, and they can be accessed with a simple click. 

Also, regarding adding the additional TB's of space, depending upon your quota usage at a certain point in time, our team will be able to grant several TB's of space at a time to keep up with your needs of the space availability. 

Hope this info is useful to you! :penguin:

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here

Karina
Moderator @ Dropbox

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Karina Dropbox Staff
    berk Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?