cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove from Team and revert back to Personal Dropbox

Remove from Team and revert back to Personal Dropbox

dominorodgers
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have had a personal Dropbox for years which I use to do all my work, store photos, share files with clients and colleagues etc...

I had a new client wanting to share files via Dropbox and without paying much attention I clicked on the email invitation thinking it was to a shared folder like I have done many times previously, but actually looks like it was an invite to join their team...

So now it appears that my personal Dropbox has been completely taken over and I am now a part of their team! 

While I can see that it says on my Personal files that I am the only member, assuming the client can't see the files, it really isn't ideal and would like to reclaim my own Dropbox for myself.

Is there a way for me to remove myself from the Team? And if so will that simply go back to my normal plan? 

Any help on this much appreciated as don't want to risk loosing access to my own files and account...

28 Replies 28

dominorodgers
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It does seem to be a complete nighmare and I am glad I am not the only one this happened to. The fact that you can't remove yourself from a team is beyond ridiculous and the fact an admin can access your supposedely private files by logging in as you is terrifying! 

Thankfully my client was happy to remove me from the account and restore me back to my own account - BUT since then my whole Dropbox has gone a bit mad and has affected my whole laptop. Everything that was stored locally on my machine in Dropbox somehow got removed?! Now everytime I want to open a file it has to re-download it using smart sync, which although irritating is fine when I have wifi available, but a disaster when I don't - the beauty of Dropbox and storing stuff locally was that I could still happily access my files when I didn't have wifi! This might just me being a bit slow and not getting the settings right?! Either way it is further annoying as my data modified sorting is now all off too, as the date of everything was showing as the data that my account was recovered!! As far as I can see I haven't lost files which is the main thing, but still I am super annoyed that clicking on one email link to what I believed was simply a shared folder can have caused me such upheaval....

KCACWillDo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I did that on my account but now I have major issues. Everything is stuck and I am getting this error:

'Your account can't be updated to leave the shared workspace. Some files are being used by other applications.'

I have manually shut down the files and it still shows: Windows Explorer is blocking the transfer

Please help!

Thanks

KC

KCACWillDo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Frustrating is an understatement! Especially when I have no choice right now but to work form home 😞

nvcuadra
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is not an acceptable solution. It's too easy to accidently delete all of my personal files. Can Dropbox please just remove me from this team account that I joined accidentally? This is a horrible system that makes it entirely too easy for someone to steal all your files. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @nvcuadra, I'm sorry to hear about this situation.

If you've joined a Dropbox Business team, for security and privacy purposes, only the team admin can remove you from the team an convert your account back to a personal one using these steps.

Let me know how it goes.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Brad W.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same issue and the response answered my questions EXCEPT I have no access to the admin.  He has left his company and no where to be found.  How can I reclaim my personal account?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @Brad W., is this a paid Dropbox Business team? Could you let me know what plan you see on this page?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ponderifica
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I literally cannot believe this is an actual thing within Dropbox. It just happened to me. I have no idea when the client can get back to me about it and I absolutely did not want this to happen. I was skeptical upon seeing the option to merge accounts but I sort of assumed there was just something new going on with Dropbox and trusted the process. I'll NEVER do that again. This is a huge problem and will most likely be ending my 7-8 year stint with Dropbox over this. Absolutely unacceptable performance. 

nvcuadra
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Truly unbelievable. I dropped Dropbox after many years of being a customer and have switched to pcloud

pixi2
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This is the most horrible and frightening user experience I had for years.

I'm seriously considering to cancel my (and my employees) dropbox-subscription (which I have for more than 10 years) and switch to owncloud.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    SparkleCindy New member | Level 2
    Jean-Baptiste R New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?