cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing user disables their own account?

Removing user disables their own account?

dagf83
New member | Level 2

I invited a user to my team. This user has it`s own Dropbox account which is totally separate from me, I don`t have any login there or anything.

I added them to my team, but since this the adress I invited to is not their primary email-adress, they wanted me to remove them from my team and invite again, using another email-account. But when I removed them from my team, they can no longer log into their own account?

This is a really big issue as they use their Dropbox for delivering content to their customers. I have restored in my account again now, hoping this fixes it, but how can me removing them from my team, making them unable to use their account?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Removing user disables their own account?

Rich
Super User II

@dagf83 wrote:

I invited a user to my team. This user has it`s own Dropbox account which is totally separate from me, I don`t have any login there or anything.

When they joined your team, their account was merged into your Business team, effectively making you the owner of the account. If they had a paid subscription, any time remaining on it would have been refunded back to them.

But when I removed them from my team, they can no longer log into their own account?

When you remove an account from your team, you're deleting the account. Instead, you need to convert the account back to an individual account.

... how can me removing them from my team, making them unable to use their account?

Because it's not their account anymore. It belongs to the team, and to remove an account from a team is to delete that account. Restoring the account as you did was the correct next step. Now you need to convert it back to an individual account. Follow the link above.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II

@dagf83 wrote:

When they joined your team, their account was merged into your Business team, effectively making you the owner of the account. If they had a paid subscription, any time remaining on it would have been refunded back to them.

But when I removed them from my team, they can no longer log into their own account?

When you remove an account from your team, you're deleting the account. Instead, you need to convert the account back to an individual account.

... how can me removing them from my team, making them unable to use their account?

Because it's not their account anymore. It belongs to the team, and to remove an account from a team is to delete that account. Restoring the account as you did was the correct next step. Now you need to convert it back to an individual account. Follow the link above.

View solution in original post

dagf83
New member | Level 2

Aha!

I restored their account and when I again deleted it, I converted it. So now it should work like it used to before?

Rich
Super User II

@dagf83 wrote:

I restored their account and when I again deleted it, I converted it. So now it should work like it used to before?

As long as you clicked Convert to individual Dropbox Basic account instead then it should be back to a regular account.

dagf83
New member | Level 2

Yes, I did.

Thanks again!

dagf83
New member | Level 2

I have to ask again Rich, I'm sure you know the answer to this as well.

Earlier. my account was a Dropbox Professional account, but now it's converted into Dropbox Business. When I had the old account I had some clients we did some work for and to exchange files, I simply created a shared folder, and then my team member and my client both got access. This works great. But; the downside is that my client can see the name and email of my team member, and I don't want that. Since it seems team members cannot be hidden, I figured the best way to fix this is to have my team member log in with an email/user I create for them, so that they are anonymous with a new name and email.

My clients has their own personal Dropbox-account, so I don't want to make them part of my team, as this means I will take over their account, and neither of us want that.

How can I move these shared clientfolders that we use now, out of it's current location, and into the new location and at the same time remove my team member and re-adding the team member with the new account that I created?

I dont want to mess something up for my client, by touching their account, but I want/need these shared folders to be at one location, so that my team member can come to one place and see all folders of all clients. 

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @dagf83, you should be able to remove the old email of your client, then re-add them as shown here.

As to how you would be able to move the content around, you can use the Website, desktop or mobile app and follow these steps.

If you have any other questions, I'm here!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
    dagf83 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?