cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renamed Folder Keeps Reappearing

Renamed Folder Keeps Reappearing

New member | Level 2

I renamed a rather top level folder a few days ago. The old folder keeps reappearing (with all lowercase letters, interestingly) with a couple sub-folders that lead to one singular file. How can I prevent this from continuing to happen?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Renamed Folder Keeps Reappearing

Dropboxer
Hey dustin_burleson, welcome to the Dropbox Community, let’s have a look into the possible causes together! 

You may keep in mind that your best bet to determine what’s happening would be to check one of the files inside the folder & take it from there. If the file in question is in a shared folder, it’s highly likely that one of your colleagues (or friends) has a synced computer running an application that is using the file in question, which is probably causing the file to reappear in your Dropbox account. 

To check and see if another computer or person is accessing a file, you can look at the previous versions of the file. Once you check the previous versions & see that it was accessed from an application on another computer, you can delete it off of that computer to stop it from reappearing in your Dropbox.

I hope this answers your question, though you could also let me know here in case you need further assistance. If so, please include any other detail that may give me some hints as to what you’re experiencing. Until then, take care & I hope you have a great rest of the day ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https:confused face:/dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Dropboxer
Hey dustin_burleson, welcome to the Dropbox Community, let’s have a look into the possible causes together! 

You may keep in mind that your best bet to determine what’s happening would be to check one of the files inside the folder & take it from there. If the file in question is in a shared folder, it’s highly likely that one of your colleagues (or friends) has a synced computer running an application that is using the file in question, which is probably causing the file to reappear in your Dropbox account. 

To check and see if another computer or person is accessing a file, you can look at the previous versions of the file. Once you check the previous versions & see that it was accessed from an application on another computer, you can delete it off of that computer to stop it from reappearing in your Dropbox.

I hope this answers your question, though you could also let me know here in case you need further assistance. If so, please include any other detail that may give me some hints as to what you’re experiencing. Until then, take care & I hope you have a great rest of the day ahead! 

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

View solution in original post

Explorer | Level 4

This may work for you but it doesn't solve the problem for me. I am not sharing my files with anyone. I have two personal computers next to each other on the same LAN, both logged in to my Dropbox account, no applications open, and I go to bed for the night. When I wake up in the morning, I see lots of folder "renaming" and file and folder "conflicts". Both computers are fully patched up-to-date and scanned for no malware. Also, Dropbox.exe consumes 25% to 40% of CPU for hours and hours even while I am sleeping and not using the computers and no applications are open. If I permanently delete files in dropbox (fully purged), wait a while, and move fresh copies back into the Dropbox folder from my backups, a couple of dozen instances of Adobe Reader get launched in the background and consume the remaining 60 to 75% of the CPU. What is going on?

Dropboxer
Hey @harmod, apologies for the slight delay on my side. 

I’ve now located both tickets you’ve submitted through our system & I’ve increased your priority internally to help expedite resolution. I’ve also pinged my colleague internally, so you should expect an update from us on the matter soon. 

I’m also following along, so please let me know if you need further assistance from me. 

Thanks for your efforts & patience as we're working to address that!

Jane

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?