cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming (free) Dropbox Team (and the Team Folder)

Renaming (free) Dropbox Team (and the Team Folder)

Explorer | Level 4

Some months ago I created a free Dropbox Team Account, adding it to my basic (and personal) Dropbox Account.

There, I was asked to entitle the Dropbox Team space, and as a consequence also the only one Team Folder admitted got a name.

When I created it I didn't know I could add folders to my Dropbox Team, so I choce a name representative of the Project I and my collegues where collaborating to.

Now I'd like to rename the Team, and consequently the Team Folder, in a more generic fashion, like "Our Team Space" instead of "TPGR NA".

How can I do this?

I tried to start the following https://www.dropbox.com/help/9124#name, but it seems is only for Dropbox Business accounts.

But, in case I could, will my collegues who I shared the Team Folder always be in synch to the "Team Folder", or renaming will break anyway the ability to be in synch in their (local copy) Dropbox Folders (i.e. thei laptop folders won't get automatically an updated copy of a document previously shared)?

Thanks in advance

S.

5 Replies 5

Re: Renaming (free) Dropbox Team (and the Team Folder)

Super User II

Sebastian_Ramet wrote:

Now I'd like to rename the Team, and consequently the Team Folder ... How can I do this?

After clicking the Team link in the navigation on the left, click the Settings button. You can rename the team there. I don't know if that will rename the actual folder on your computer, or just the team itself.

will my collegues who I shared the Team Folder always be in synch to the "Team Folder", or renaming will break anyway the ability to be in synch in their (local copy) Dropbox Folders

As long as they're a member of the team, they should continue to sync it without a problem.

Dropboxer

Hey Sebastian, 

Happy to help you clarify that!

Please note that, at the moment, you cannot change the name of your Team Folder, when on a free team, though you can change the Team Name. Once you do that, any change will be automatically synced on all connected accounts.  

Hope this helps. If you need more information about it, just let me know in your reply. 

Kind Regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks JaneA and Rich

It will be enough for me to rename the Team (only), but may be I'm missing something and haven't been able to do yet ...

May you help me more in this?

Here it is a screenshoot of what you can see what I can see. For confidentiality reasons, I'll put a banner over some parts.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/53aptgj36yac6fw/cosa%20vedo%20in%20dropbox%20team%202.jpg?dl=0

Thanks!!

S.

Super User II

Click Team in the left hand navigation, and there should be a settings button on the right.

4a59cc17b64ba1e92916bb8eb4511e49.png

One thing that I see, and I don't know if this matters, is that my Test Team is not linked to another personal account like yours is.

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you Rich!

I'm sure I haven't that "Settings" button on the right, just only "Share" on the Team Folder. 

It would be nice to know if I should "unlink" my personal and the Team accounts before renaming the Team one.

It makes sense, somehow .. the "personal" account link to a "well know team account name", and might avoid to apply any change on it ....

But if so I'd suggest to improve this aspect

Rich ha scritto:

Click Team in the left hand navigation, and there should be a settings button on the right.

One thing that I see, and I don't know if this matters, is that my Test Team is not linked to another personal account like yours is.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?