cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secondary backups using sign-in-as-user

Secondary backups using sign-in-as-user

eie_bp
Explorer | Level 4

We're looking for a way to make a backup of all our Dropbox business files on local machine. Currently, the PC is logged in with Admin rights and synchronising Team folders - a script simply copies the whole Dropbox folder to a separate drive.

However, this doesn't backup any files that the user has saved outside a Team folder, since the Admin account does not synchronise them. The 'sign in as user' functionality only appears to be available via the Admin console for one user at a time, so won't work as an automated backup.

I appreciate this feature is probably by design to discourage misuse, and there's already the 'backup' of the Dropbox server - but we need a local copy of ALL user files. We don't have access to a dev resource to build anything custom with the API - perhaps there's a third-party app or Dropbox partner?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Secondary backups using sign-in-as-user

JohnDropbox
Dropboxer

Hi eie_bp, unfortunately I'm not aware of any third-party apps that would allow for that functionality. Most 3rd party applications I've seen will only permit you to sync one Dropbox account to a device at a time. While I know it's not helpful for you, this might have to be something developed via our API to access each individual account and sync its contents.

Sorry I can't be of more help, hopefully another Community member will be able to suggest a solution they've encountered.

[This thread is now closed due to inactivity. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Re: Secondary backups using sign-in-as-user

JohnDropbox
Dropboxer

Hi eie_bp, unfortunately I'm not aware of any third-party apps that would allow for that functionality. Most 3rd party applications I've seen will only permit you to sync one Dropbox account to a device at a time. While I know it's not helpful for you, this might have to be something developed via our API to access each individual account and sync its contents.

Sorry I can't be of more help, hopefully another Community member will be able to suggest a solution they've encountered.

[This thread is now closed due to inactivity. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

View solution in original post

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?