cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared folders after I accept an invitation to a team and create a new account for my personal

Shared folders after I accept an invitation to a team and create a new account for my personal

New member | Level 2

Hello,

I think I have a good idea as to the answer after reading through a bunch of posts, but thought I'd ask since I didnt see it asked directly....

Say I invite someone to my team/business account that's already using their business email for a personal account. They choose to make a new account after accepting the invitation to keep their existing stuff separate. What happens to any existing shared folders that they are a part of?

They would still be a part of those existing shares, right? And everyone in those shares would be able to see that the email address of that account is updated, right?

Considering Dropbox is awesome enough to let you change the email address on your account, I'm guessing sharing isnt "really" based of an email address, but some unique ID that would stay the same, but get a shiny new email address associated with it in this proccess.... total speculation, you can ignore this part

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Shared folders after I accept an invitation to a team and create a new account for my personal

Dropboxer

Hey @USDc, thanks for reaching out to us. 

You're right, when you choose to create a new account to have your personal files separate from your team account, this will include shared folders. 

In other words, the shared folders will be associated with the new account and members will be able to see the new email address listed. 

I hope this helps put your mind at ease!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Re: Shared folders after I accept an invitation to a team and create a new account for my personal

Dropboxer

Hey @USDc, thanks for reaching out to us. 

You're right, when you choose to create a new account to have your personal files separate from your team account, this will include shared folders. 

In other words, the shared folders will be associated with the new account and members will be able to see the new email address listed. 

I hope this helps put your mind at ease!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

New member | Level 2

Awesome, thanks very much for the quick response!

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?