cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox teams & admins

The Dropbox Community is the place to learn how Dropbox Business can work for you, with Business users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Sharing Control

Explorer | Level 3

Hello DropBox,

When I build a Parent folder, then say I have 7 childeren folders. How do I only share 2 and 3 out 7 childern folders? Because I do not want to have hundreds of parent folders that doesn't make sense. Please advise how I can dedicate only two folders out seven folders for better management. Because if one had to say build a parent folder each one that could be 7 x the back office work. I love Dropbox but this could drive me crazy to me honest, it just not efficient.  I know there has to be a answer to. Thank you for your support.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Sharing Control

Super User II
Super User II
Yes that is possible as long the parent folder is not shared. If the parent folder IS shared it isnt possible.

Dropbox have previously said that the way there infrastructure is configured they cannot change this.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Are you talking about subfolders within an already shared parent folder? If so, you can't do that. Shared folders cannot be nested* within each other. If the parent folder is not shared, then you can just share the subfolders individually like  you would for any other folder you were sharing.

* One exception to this is shared folders within a Team folder in a Dropbox for Business account.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Yes I am talking about subfolder within a Parent folder. So I would like to share the subfolder with various clients. So if I had 7 subfolders, I would like to share 2 and 3 with one vendor. Then 4 and 5 with another vendor. Then 7 with the client. Is this possible to dedicate different sharing with in the subfolders? If not why not? Also please can someone bring that up at the next architects building processing&planning meeting if the answer is no. I really do Love Dropbox but with this change Wow that could maybe change the way people might be viewing Dropbox, like Y I’m using anything else. Just a thought. Thank you as always..

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
Yes that is possible as long the parent folder is not shared. If the parent folder IS shared it isnt possible.

Dropbox have previously said that the way there infrastructure is configured they cannot change this.

- - -

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/forums/postpage/category-id/101001000]

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?