cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small business dropbox group folder, but the admin has left - how do I adjust the admin?

Small business dropbox group folder, but the admin has left - how do I adjust the admin?

Explorer | Level 3

The business I'm part of used Dropbox to store some general information.  Unfortunately, the person who was the Admin for the group has left the business.  Consequently, none of us have user rights to delete files, upgrade to a business account, or perform any of the other standard Admin functions.  Any suggestions for how to handle our situation?  We need to adjust the Admin, but there does not seem to be a process for that.  (Clearly this should have been handled differently in the setup of the account prior to this employees departure, but we are where we are).  Many thanks!

3 Replies 3

Re: Small business dropbox group folder, but the admin has left - how do I adjust the admin?

Dropboxer

Hi @JMason2; welcome to our Community!

I'm sorry to hear about this situation and truth be told, this is one of the reasons we always recommend having two team admins when on a Dropbox for Business Teams account. 

If there's only one admin on your team indeed, the easiest way to appoint a new admin is to contact the current admin directly. If you don't know who the admin on your team is, you can find out here:

https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/team

If that's not possible at all, I'd suggest contacting our support team to see if there's anything else that can be done in this situation and/or cancel the account's subscription - if it's still running- to prevent further charges.

From there, you can copy or move any files you need from the current account to another place so you can then re-upload them in a newly created account.

I know it's not optimal, but I hope this helps. 

Please let me know if you have any more questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Small business dropbox group folder, but the admin has left - how do I adjust the admin?

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your reply Walter.  I agree with you about needing two admins - sadly our company did not do that.  

I believe the account was a business account at one time, but it does not appear to be a business account currently.  

Therefore, I can not find a way to contact anyone on the Dropbox support team other than thru the Community.  

Could we either change the admin or delete the group altogether?  You'll see there hasn't been activity in a year.  

Dropboxer

I'm afraid without access to the email address that was used for the account of the team admin, you won't be able to do either of those @JMason2

As mentioned, you can leave the team to revert your own account back to an individual one if needed. 

Let me know if you have any more questions and have a lovely weekend in the meantime. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?