cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Smart Sync not defaulting to online only for new files/folders

Explorer | Level 3

Hi, I have just upgraded to Business, moved all my files over to Dropbox etc. so I'm up and running.  At present, there is only one user (me) so I assume I am the admin as I seem to have an Admin control panel.

I have set the Admin Smart Sync setting to On-Line Only for all new files created, in the dropbox client on the PC it is also set to on-line only, but try as I might, every time I add a file or folder or edit an existing file, it turns it into a local copy.  I don't want this, I just want it all to be online and stay online.

How do I fix this please as it's becoming frustrating !

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Smart Sync not defaulting to online only for new files/folders

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @ArronChandler, thanks for reaching out to us on the Dropbox Community - welcome aboard!

As a first step, I wanted to clarify with you how you're adding the files to your Dropbox account. Are you doing it from the desktop app or the website? 

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusll

I am adding the files/folders via explorer (ie right click>new folder, copy paste a file, open a file in word and save it again - these all result in the new or edited file/folder being local).

I have downloaded the Dropbox App for my PC which added all the extensions in for Explorer and MS Office programs

Thanks.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for confirming that for me, @ArronChandler

When you add a file from your hard drive to your Dropbox folder, all the file's information is already stored on your computer, which is why you see it as local. Once it's done syncing, you can convert it to online-only

If you want it to be online-only in one go, what you can do is upload the file through the website. That way, the file gets synced to your desktop app based on what you've set the Smart Sync settings to be on your device. 

I hope this helps clarify matters, but let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the advice - it makes sense but it wasn't how I expected DropBox to work tbh, I was hoping that my DropBox folder as seen from the explorer app would be able to be used as a sort of 'virtual drive' seamlessly without having to sync items.  It's cumbersome to have to add files using the DropBox app or website, so that's not an option for me.  Is it possible to achieve what I want by not using smart sync ?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @ArronChandler

The Dropbox folder on your File Explorer is part of the desktop app. It syncs any file you place into it to your Dropbox account, as long as the desktop app is running. If it's not, your account won't show the most up to date versions of your files.

Also, by using Smart Sync you're able to save space on your computer by marking files as online-only, reducing the amount of space they take up on your hard drive.

Having said that, if you want to be able to add a file into the Dropbox folder, sync it to your account, and be removed from your computer, all in one go, I'm afraid there's currently no option or direct way to do this. 

However, you can post this in our Share an idea section, where other users who share the same interest can comment and upvote your thoughts!

Give me a shout if you have any other questions!

Lusil

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?