cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start-up, Indexing, Syncing time

Start-up, Indexing, Syncing time

New member | Level 2

It seems like Dropbox is taking longer and longer to start-up.  While it's starting up, other programs are very slow, almost unresponsive. It took over 45 minutes to go from starting to indexing today.  I have  Win 7 pro, 64-bit, 16gb ram, and i5 2.4 GHz processor.   I am one of multiple people in our office having the same issue.  What can we do to address this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Start-up, Indexing, Syncing time

Dropboxer
Hey there, if you’re running the beta, as these builds are still in the testing process, you could experience some issues or an inconsistent experience.

Could you try instead installing the stable version. To do this, you will first need to follow these steps to verify that you have opted out of "Include me in early releases" option in your settings on Dropbox.com. This will ensure that the application does not automatically update to the beta build after you install the latest stable build:

1. Login to your account and visit this page
  2. From the "General" tab, scroll down to the section titled "Preferences" and uncheck the box next to "Include me in early releases" if it is checked.
  3. Then, download the Dropbox desktop application again.

Once you install the stable build, it might take some time to re-index the files and sync any pending changes.

Let us know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Dropboxer
Hey Kevin-VMG , thanks for posting on the Dropbox Community on this issue, I’d like to ask you some questions to get a better insight into what’s happening & we’ll take it from there! 

So as to address the issue you’ve experienced in the best possible way (& because it’s my understanding that you’re experiencing a syncing issue), could you make sure that you’re running the latest stable version of the application on your desktop (46.4.65) & it’s syncing correctly on your system tray ? Do you have any pending OS updates by any chance? 

Incidentally, have you tried quitting all other applications running in the background & force starting Dropbox anew? Did you receive the same behavior? 

Let me know how of your findings in your next post, so that we work on that together as closely as possible. Thanks again! 

Jane
https:confused face:/dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

I am going to move this conversation over to the beta testers section.  I am on build 47.3.73

Dropboxer
Hey there, if you’re running the beta, as these builds are still in the testing process, you could experience some issues or an inconsistent experience.

Could you try instead installing the stable version. To do this, you will first need to follow these steps to verify that you have opted out of "Include me in early releases" option in your settings on Dropbox.com. This will ensure that the application does not automatically update to the beta build after you install the latest stable build:

1. Login to your account and visit this page
  2. From the "General" tab, scroll down to the section titled "Preferences" and uncheck the box next to "Include me in early releases" if it is checked.
  3. Then, download the Dropbox desktop application again.

Once you install the stable build, it might take some time to re-index the files and sync any pending changes.

Let us know how it goes!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Dropboxer

Hey @Kevin-VMG!

Did you have the chance to try out AgentJay's suggestions to see if this helps with the syncing issue you were having?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?