cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SubFolder Permissions (View / Edit for different members)

SubFolder Permissions (View / Edit for different members)

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Dropbox,

I know this has been a topic since 2016, but is there any solutions for the subfolders of a teamfolder having different member ?

To explain further, I could not remove some members from the Subfolder of a Team Folder. It inherits the members from the Team folder. Because i would like to hide one of the subfolder from two of the members in the team folder. 

Is there a reason that every subfolders will inherit the permissions / members from its higher level folders?

Thank You,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: SubFolder Permissions (View / Edit for different members)

Dropboxer
The rationale behind the Team structure is that it lets you organize & manage your sharing settings in a pyramid-like formation JKDing, therefore once you’re granted access to the top-level folder, you’re automatically added to all content beneath. 

For that reason my colleague has created the resource I linked in my previous post, as it’s crucial to advise admins on how to best create the initial scheme they have in mind & distribute permissions from that point onwards. 

As I’d like to help you as reach a viable resolution to the issue you’re facing though, may I ask how you’d like to re-structure your folders under your Team Folder? 

Let me know here & we’ll take it from there JKDing. Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https:confused face:/dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Dropboxer
Hey JKDing, thanks for posting us here on the matter! 

You may keep in mind that there have been various discussions on our Forum (eg. here) regarding sharing permissions, though as a point of reference, you may keep in mind that Team Folder permissions are inherited from the top layer downwards (& Jay has posted about it on this resource previously). 

According to the tips he’s posted, it would be advisable to share folders in the subfolder level with your coworkers or employees, after you’ve managed them in Groups, so as to avoid granting access to your sensitive content to all members of staff. 

In case you’ve added your “Everyone at My Company” group to a Team Folder, you can remove it from the Team Folder manager on your account online (note: Team Folders are recognized by a 2-building icon) & then you could create (& share) folders in the subfolder level:

#1. Navigate to: https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/team/admin/team_folders/home & check whether you’ve shared a Team Folder with your colleagues. If this is the case, you could remove the group by going to the “Manage” button at the right of the line & choosing to “Remove” the group. (Note: You’ll need to add a different group, in order to remove the previous one.)

#2. From there, you can add your groups in the subfolder level, as Jay advised & organize from bottom to top. 

Hopefully my advice is helpful to you, though do let me know of any additional questions you may have, as I’m here to help you organize your Business account in any way I can! 

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jane,

Yeah i got it, which is why i was kinda suprised how come there is no option to disable the inheritence. Because if i were to keep creating a new shared folder, it would look messy.

Dropboxer
The rationale behind the Team structure is that it lets you organize & manage your sharing settings in a pyramid-like formation JKDing, therefore once you’re granted access to the top-level folder, you’re automatically added to all content beneath. 

For that reason my colleague has created the resource I linked in my previous post, as it’s crucial to advise admins on how to best create the initial scheme they have in mind & distribute permissions from that point onwards. 

As I’d like to help you as reach a viable resolution to the issue you’re facing though, may I ask how you’d like to re-structure your folders under your Team Folder? 

Let me know here & we’ll take it from there JKDing. Thanks! 

Jane

View solution in original post

Explorer | Level 4
Hi Jane,

Our colleague has already begin to re-structure our folders in the team folder already. Thanks so much for your help and advice !! =D

Dropboxer
Sure JKDing & thanks a lot for letting me know of the progress & how you’ll get going on the matter moving forward! 

I was glad to hear that this has shed a bit of light to your initial inquiry. 

I’d just like to let you know that it’ll be a pleasure to work with you again in the future in case you have any more questions or face any issues, so please let us know here if you need assistance in any way & we’ll do our best to check back with you. Happy sharing & a fruitful rest of your Monday! 

Jane

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?