cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subfolder permissions to only some users, structure?

Subfolder permissions to only some users, structure?

GeekDesign
Explorer | Level 4

Hey guys, I have a question, I am considering upgrading to a business account. But I have a few question.

If we have a folder structure like this:

Main folder

- Sub1                        -Sub2                          -Sub3

--Fold1 --Fold2         --Fold3 --Fold4          --Fold5 --Fold6

Lets say I have team members called member1.

If I give access to member1 for Fold2, what will he be able to see? Will he se the whole folder structure, or will he only see

Main folder

-Sub1

-Fold2

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Re: Subfolder permissions to only some users, structure?

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@GeekDesign wrote:

Lets say I have team members called member1.

If I give access to member1 for Fold2, what will he be able to see? Will he se the whole folder structure, or will he only see

Main folder

-Sub1

-Fold2

Hi @GeekDesign,

If the main folder isn't some team folder (where every team member has access to), yes you are correct. "member1" will access to the "Fold2" (and their subfolders, if any) only. 😉

GeekDesign
Explorer | Level 4
Ok, but will the parent folders be visible as well? Or will that subfolder be only visible?

Здравко

🙄 I already mentioned that you are right that only one folder out from enumerated will be visible. I don't know why you ask if any parent folder will be visible. 🤷 Of course not, if not visible by some other way, as mentioned. When you have shared some folder entire content is visible, including files and subfolders (recursively), of course (not parent folders).

Hope this clarifies matter.

GeekDesign
Explorer | Level 4
I see, but what I am trying to figure out is a way to keep the folder structure the same, and allow certain team members access to only some subfolders.

Здравко

That what I described above are the rules. Why you decide one or another thing, nobody else knows! There are different options as alternatives. Do you ask a question to yourself? 🙂 Organize your data (folders and files) as is most convenient to you. 😉

PS: Just for completeness one more rule: Shared folders can't be nested.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Super Collaborator | Level 20
    GeekDesign Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?