cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Try the File locking Dropbox feature.

Try the File locking Dropbox feature.

Trinity2019
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Can you explain the the File Locking system through the early access program so we won't have conflicting versions? We would like to know how this feature works and if it is right for us.

Thank You

20 Replies 20

JulianCHBS
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi @Fiona,

I am having the same issue as JT-EE

Thanks

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @JulianCHBS

Thanks for adding your experience with the file locking feature missing in this discussion. 

Please try to access the "Early releases" section of your Admin console, from an incognito window/private browsing mode of your browser. If you still don't see the file locking feature, please respond to the email I've sent you. 

You will find it checking the inbox of the address associated with your Community profile. :nerd: :envelope:

Thank you! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

mikedag
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

i also dont see the early access option gor file locking 

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @mikedag!

The file locking feature is no longer an "Early release" and it is expected not to see it under "Early releases". 

It will be gradually rolled out to all Business teams. You can check if you already have it under, "Content". 

I hope you do! If you don't, you will have it soon. :slight_smile:

Cheers! 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

mikedag
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Appreciate your response  I do see locked files tab in my admin , but no option for the users in the web browser  on how they can select a file for "locking" ty again  this is an important tool for us , i think badge helps to alert us for MS products but this seems good(better solution if we really need to have 1 user in a file at a time) for those and other files ?

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Have the members try the following steps:

1. Sign in to dropbox.com.
  2. Click Files in the left column.
  3. Click  (ellipsis) next to the file name.
  4. Click Lock Editing or Unlock Editing.

If they don't have the option to lock, it seems like the feature has not rolled out to your team yet. But as mentioned, it will show up soon. 

I understand how important this is. This feature is a real problem solver! :nerd:

I hope you have it already! 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

telok
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, I can see the "Locked files" tab under Content. However, I cannot find the option to lock individual files on Dropbox.com, the Desktop app or File Explorer. Do i still need to enable this feature somewhere first? Thanks

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @telok, I hope you're well today!

You can check if this is enabled for the team under the Settings tab in the Admin console here. Do you see this option toggled "On"?

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Tristan_
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

I have a computer at home and at work that both have dropbox installed, and I use the same login on both computers.

In this instance, how does file locking handle this if I lock a file from one PC and then use another with the same account?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Tristan_, thanks for joining the discussion here!

The file will be locked for that user's account rather than a specific device. 

So locking the file from one device connected to your account won't prevent you from being able to open the same file on another device connected to that account.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Harald H.4 Helpful | Level 5
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    Tristan_ New member | Level 2
    telok Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?