cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning on Smart Sync

Turning on Smart Sync

Explorer | Level 4

I am preparing to deploy Smart Sync to my current user base, and wanted to know what will happen to users that do not have admin rights? Will they get an error? Will they be able to continue to use dropbox until we have the opportunity to provide admin rights to install the new version? Will they get prompted with anything? Is there something I can install as an admin remotely to ensure each computer has what it needs to turn on this service?  Any other gotchas I should look out for before I turn this service on?

Thanks,

Rich 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Turning on Smart Sync

Dropboxer
Hey @rich2323

You mean that your users don’t have admin rights through the operating system? 

Our desktop app has been capable of Smart Sync for some time now, so if your machines are regularly updated (normally this is automatic), then there won’t be an issue with compatibility. 

As the Dropbox admin, when you enable the feature, you have the option of selecting a default for the whole team: online-only or local. You don’t need to make this choice here, and your users will be able to choose their own settings on their computer. 

When you enable Smart Sync for the whole team, each member will receive an email notification. 

Here’s a couple of articles with info you might find useful: 
I hope this helps. 
Have a great weekend! 

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Re: Turning on Smart Sync

Dropboxer
Hey @rich2323

You mean that your users don’t have admin rights through the operating system? 

Our desktop app has been capable of Smart Sync for some time now, so if your machines are regularly updated (normally this is automatic), then there won’t be an issue with compatibility. 

As the Dropbox admin, when you enable the feature, you have the option of selecting a default for the whole team: online-only or local. You don’t need to make this choice here, and your users will be able to choose their own settings on their computer. 

When you enable Smart Sync for the whole team, each member will receive an email notification. 

Here’s a couple of articles with info you might find useful: 
I hope this helps. 
Have a great weekend! 

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?