cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Photo Files Handled Differently - How do I fix the second one?

Two Photo Files Handled Differently - How do I fix the second one?

Explorer | Level 3

DropBoxPhotAnomaly.JPG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Two Photo Files Handled Differently - How do I fix the second one?

Super User II

The first folder isn't showing metadata; it's showing filenames, just like the second folder. It's just that the naming format for those files was different from what was used to name the files on the second folder.

As for the sorting order, this is controlled by your operating system and has nothing to do with Dropbox. The first folder is likely sorting by name, and the name is the date the photo was taken. The second folder also seems to be sorted by the file name. If it's sorting by the order copied, the the files were copied in order by name (which would make sense).

Simply put, you're dealing with two sets of files that are named differently. There's no easy way merge them short of using a file compare utility, such as Beyond Compare, and then renaming them appropriately.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Super User II
What do you mean by "handled differently"? You're showing two different folders. What is it you're trying to accomplish?

Explorer | Level 3

Rich, what I mean is that the labelling of files in the first folder shows metadata, including the date and time the photo was taken, but not so in the second folder. THe files in the first folder are sorted by the date the picture was taken, wheras in the second folder, they are ordered by when the file was copied. How can I get the files in the second folder to be treated like the files in the first folder, so I can do a meaningful merge? Thanks, Jim

Super User II

The first folder isn't showing metadata; it's showing filenames, just like the second folder. It's just that the naming format for those files was different from what was used to name the files on the second folder.

As for the sorting order, this is controlled by your operating system and has nothing to do with Dropbox. The first folder is likely sorting by name, and the name is the date the photo was taken. The second folder also seems to be sorted by the file name. If it's sorting by the order copied, the the files were copied in order by name (which would make sense).

Simply put, you're dealing with two sets of files that are named differently. There's no easy way merge them short of using a file compare utility, such as Beyond Compare, and then renaming them appropriately.

View solution in original post

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the clarification.

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?