cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to Cancel Business Acct and Free up my Personal email for my own use

Want to Cancel Business Acct and Free up my Personal email for my own use

New member | Level 1

A year and a half ago I was invited to join a business account on my personal email for which I already had a personal dropbox. I accepted. My personal DB was subsumed into the new Business DB. Now I want to cancel the business account and use my personal email for a Personal Dropbox. However, when the Administrator deleted my Business Account and I tried to open a new Personal DB using my personal email address, I received a message that my email was not available.

Since then the Administrator restored my Business Account but I still want to be removed from that account and be able to use my personal email for a new DB account. If I ask the administrator to delete my business account again, how can I be sure my personal email will be freed-up for my own use?

5 Replies 5

Re: Want to Cancel Business Acct and Free up my Personal email for my own use

Super User II

Have the administrator contact Support and request that your account be restored to it's former state. They have access to a phone number and required PIN in their admin console under Help.

New member | Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply. As I wrote in the 2nd paragraph, the Administrator DID restore my Business Account so I could recover my personal files.

But now I DO want to cancel the Business Account to Free-up my personal email so that I can use it for a new Personal Dropbox.

However, when my Business Acct was deleted the first time and I tried to open a new Personal Dropbox with my personal email it would not allow me use my personal email.

If my Business Acct is deleted again, shouldn't I be able to use my personal email for a new Personal DB? It didn't seem to work the other day after the Business Acct was deleted. And if it doesn't work (that is, we delete my Business Acct but my personal email is not free for a new DB act), what can be done to free up my personal email?

New member | Level 1

PS Oh, maybe you are the Administrator can have my account restored to it's former state before it was a Business Dropbox (my Personal Dropbox) ... is that what you mean?

New member | Level 1

EDIT  Are you suggesting that the Administrator can request my account be restored to it's former state as in my Personal Dropbox?

Super User II

Are you suggesting that the Administrator can request my account be restored to it's former state as in my Personal Dropbox?

Yes.

I'm not talking about the administrator removing your business license. I'm talking about having them contact Dropbox to restore your original account. When you joined the business team your account was merged into the business account. At that point your personal account no longer existed. It was gone. It belonged to the business. Removing the business license that it now uses deletes the account completely. The only way to get it back is if Dropbox is able to restore it to its previous state.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?