Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

What happens to shared folders if I delete a member of the team?

Explorer | Level 3

If I were to delete a user that created a main folder that is shared, would the people shared in the folder still be able to access the folder?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: What happens to shared folders if I delete a member of the team?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

If you were to transfer the deleted member’s files to another team member or convert a team member’s Business account to an individual account, shared folder content created by the user and permissions should be consistent. 

Having said that, please remember that account transfer moves all files and folders in the team member's work account (as of the date of the transfer) to another person on the team, which also helps preserve any shared folder relationships so these don't break.

Finally, if a team member's Business account is is converted to an individual account instead, the team member's work account becomes a Basic account that’s not connected to the team and keeps all shared files and folders they own or had access to before joining the team.

I hope this helped to some extent. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

If you were to transfer the deleted member’s files to another team member or convert a team member’s Business account to an individual account, shared folder content created by the user and permissions should be consistent. 

Having said that, please remember that account transfer moves all files and folders in the team member's work account (as of the date of the transfer) to another person on the team, which also helps preserve any shared folder relationships so these don't break.

Finally, if a team member's Business account is is converted to an individual account instead, the team member's work account becomes a Basic account that’s not connected to the team and keeps all shared files and folders they own or had access to before joining the team.

I hope this helped to some extent. 

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi

This transfer brake the Folder structure? I mean move all the folders to another location?

Thanks

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @hugomaya, thanks for nudging us on this thread - welcome aboard!

The structure within each folder that's transferred shouldn't be affected. You can find more info about what gets transferred and what it looks like for the recipient here.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?