cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What the heck happened??? I Click a link and lose control of my Drop box

What the heck happened??? I Click a link and lose control of my Drop box

Helpful | Level 5

I Got an invitation to join a team - Which I assumed was a new name for a shared file.  I click an email with NO information on it - and Suddenly - My account is no longer mine - Its a team account.  How does this happen?? How am I not able to get my paid account back???  If a stranger sent me an invite and I accepted - I could suddenly lose access to my drop box?  This is very disconcerting.  Suddenely , The email address and account that has been mine since the beginning of Drop box belongs to a business  - which I wa connecting to for one project.  I was going to  change accoutns but I am uncertain how this biulling will work now - or if I will lose all my files in the transfer.  How ever this went down  - I was poorly communitcated that I would lose control of my account.  How do I disconnect from the team and get my account back?  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: What the heck happened??? I Click a link and lose control of my Drop box

Dropboxer

Hello @bkla123,

If you were invited to a free Team, here's how to leave :

When you leave a team you lose access to the team folder and any groups you were a part of. Your work files are also moved to your personal Dropbox. If you would like to leave a team:

1. Sign in to dropbox.com.
  2. Click Team in the left sidebar.
  3. Click Settings.
  4. Click Delete team.

You can Read more here

If you were prompted to join a Dropbox Business or Enterprise team, you will have two options :

migrate accountIf you select the first option, the team admin will have access to all of the files in your existing Dropbox. Nothing will change in the account itself, and nothing will change in the files or folders. Migrating an existing account to a Dropbox Business team will give the team admin immediate control over—and insight into—your account. This is the reason, sincvce you agree to this, that you are unable to unlink it from the team. You can read more here.

If you accidentally joined the Team, please contact our Support team so they can help.

Thank you!

Zed
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https:confused face:/dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Dropboxer

Hello @bkla123,

If you were invited to a free Team, here's how to leave :

When you leave a team you lose access to the team folder and any groups you were a part of. Your work files are also moved to your personal Dropbox. If you would like to leave a team:

1. Sign in to dropbox.com.
  2. Click Team in the left sidebar.
  3. Click Settings.
  4. Click Delete team.

You can Read more here

If you were prompted to join a Dropbox Business or Enterprise team, you will have two options :

migrate accountIf you select the first option, the team admin will have access to all of the files in your existing Dropbox. Nothing will change in the account itself, and nothing will change in the files or folders. Migrating an existing account to a Dropbox Business team will give the team admin immediate control over—and insight into—your account. This is the reason, sincvce you agree to this, that you are unable to unlink it from the team. You can read more here.

If you accidentally joined the Team, please contact our Support team so they can help.

Thank you!

Zed
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https:confused face:/dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

Helpful | Level 5

I realined 10 seconds after I clicked what  happened.. The problem is - The person who set up and invited me is NOT technically savy and I dont have the time to Deal across the country with this.  This set up is not very clear and it is almost deceptive.  To be  able to accidnetally have  astranger tke over your account by a wrong click.  is ridicualous.  And That it is taking me 40 hours to fix . Badimplimentation

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?