cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox teams & admins

Got a question about your Dropbox Business account? Get help from users like you. Post a question to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When a Business account shared a file with me, my account became part of that account.

When a Business account shared a file with me, my account became part of that account.

USCJPS
Explorer | Level 4

When my side job created a Dropbox business account, they added us to a shared file.

Now it appears that MY Dropbox is inside that account..... which I don't want it to be.

Any ideas?

Jan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: My box is now within another one

Daphne
Dropboxer

Just adding one little thing to Rich's reply here!

If the Business team is a paid Business account, then any personal accounts that join do indeed get a pro-rated refund for the remainder of any subscriptions they previously paid for.

However, since this is a Business trial your personal subscription won't be affected. When the trial or when you're removed from the team, you will revert back to your previous subscription.

Hope that helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Susanne_64
Explorer | Level 4

Have the same question - following ...

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi @USCJPS and @Susanne_64, I hope you're both having a good day so far!

So it sounds like you've mistakenly accepted an invitation to join the Business team, and you've now become a member of that team.

To check that this is the case, please visit your Plan page here to see if the plan type shows "Business", and underneath if it shows that "You're a member" or "You're an admin".

If you're a member of the team, then you'll have to contact a team admin to remove your account and convert it back to an individual account with these steps. Only an admin will have permission to take this action I'm afraid.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

USCJPS
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you! It says..... if the trial ends, will it go back to normal, or should I ask my admin to take me out of it now?

Also, I am paying for my own Dropbox, so I def want to be on my own!

Jan

Dropbox Business Standard trial

You’re a member of the City Yoga Dropbox account.

USCJPS
Explorer | Level 4

Also, can you post the instructions or a link to them, because my studio owner, who is the admin, is likely new to Dropbox.

She's also busy and stressed, and I'd love to make it easy for her!

Rich
Super User II

@USCJPS wrote:

... or should I ask my admin to take me out of it now?

You want to have your account converted now, just in case.

Also, I am paying for my own Dropbox, so I def want to be on my own!

I can't speak about being on a trial, but on a normal Business account, when a paying user joins the team, their account is merged into the Business account (and no longer their own) and any remaining time is refunded to the payment method you have on file. I don't know if that's the same when the Business account is on a trial.

Also, can you post the instructions or a link to them ...

They were posted above, in Daphne's reply.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Just adding one little thing to Rich's reply here!

If the Business team is a paid Business account, then any personal accounts that join do indeed get a pro-rated refund for the remainder of any subscriptions they previously paid for.

However, since this is a Business trial your personal subscription won't be affected. When the trial or when you're removed from the team, you will revert back to your previous subscription.

Hope that helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Susanne_64
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for your answer. But I must say, I'm not very pleased with this way of handling my account.

It's like someone else just took control over my account.

Susanne_64
Explorer | Level 4

Important question: Can Admin in this Business Account "read and write" in my personal account?

Daphne
Dropboxer

I'm sorry to hear you feel that way @Susanne_64!

It's only possible though to join a Business team by accepting the invitation to the team and going through the process of merging your account with the teams.

The admin would not be able to see or make changes within your personal purple folder if you're part of a Business Standard team.

If you're part of a Business Advanced team, then the admin does have the option to "Sign in as user" and would be able to view and access all files in your account.

You can double check which plan you're on from your Plan page here

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Susanne_64 Explorer | Level 4
    delvalle New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?